360 saga

-

devo

Reaction score
Hi all,I have been given a 360 ,030 O-ringed short block,shes been sitting for a few years it turns over it holds oil in the cylinders,It has a cam not sure specs but will hopefully get a part number from this soon.The short block has TRW L2405 .030 pistons,All I can find out is they are low compression pistons good for forced induction etc.The engine came out of a high 12second car and had the odd shot of NOS ,ran cast heads and was certainly not run forced induction.Iam wanting to give this engine a second chance and new lease of life for my A body instead of using the 440.Does anyone have any suggestions on weather to reuse these pistons or replace them Iam thinking I should start from here.Thanks for all input,here are some pics of her below cheers

Last edited:
Hi all,I have been given a 360 ,030 O-ringed short block,shes been sitting for a few years it turns over it holds oil in the cylinders,It has a cam not sure specs but will hopefully get a part number from this soon.The short block has TRW L2405 .030 pistons,All I can find out is they are low compression pistons good for forced induction etc.The engine came out of a high 12second car and had the odd shot of NOS ,ran cast heads and was certainly not run forced induction.Iam wanting to give this engine a second chance and new lease of life for my A body instead of using the 440.Does anyone have any suggestions on weather to reuse these pistons or replace them Iam thinking I should start from here.Thanks for all input

thumbnail_20170107_171233.jpg

they are forged replacement pistons, around 7.8:1 compression with a 69 cc head. good for a boosted combo

Look into running MagnumEQ heads, calculate compression and see what you think. You can gat EQ s with la bolt pattern, but you would need AMC lifters and new oil through pushrods like a chev to oil the rockers. Rockers are 1.6 ratio stock.

Hi Greg,Iam not really 100% sure on how much compression I would or should be aiming for.It will be running on our crappy fuel which is 96 octane.Are you also recommending the magnum heads over the eddy rpms 63cc's?

If you have a high octane gas available, those low-C pistons gotta go!
Or you could bolt on a closed chamber teener top end and cam, and make a tow-truck engine out of it. :) The teener top end might bring your compression up closer to 8.8 or 9. This would bring your Dcr up around 7.75 and the cylinder pressure up to a tic over 150psi; that should pull pretty good in a tow truck.lol, or a similar low-rpm application. Hyup 150 psi and geared for 20/22 miles per hour per 1000 rpm, that could smoke some tires, awrightee.

Last edited:
If you have a high octane gas available, those low-C pistons gotta go!
Or you could bolt on a closed chamber teener top end and cam, and make a tow-truck engine out of it. :)
Just speaking to some of our local engine builders and they reckon to aim for 9.5 compression for the street to run on our shitty 96 octane.So yeah looks like they could be made to exit stage right

just as a side note, here in California 91 octane is the norm. 96 sounds pretty good to me.
Could well be that different standards apply. When devo says shitty their 96 octane is probably rated similar as the european pump gas. We have 95 and 98(ROZ) which is quite the same as you guys 91 and 93.

Yes youre quiet correct Stixx,some parts of the country you can get 98 but no where near I live.

-
Back