360 sounds terrible

-

whit68

Reaction score
G'day folks,
Just replaced the trans in my valiant after the trans died and then I found a bent pushrod in number 2.

Have replaced all the pushrods and done the valve clearance and this is the noise I get (sounds even worse in person).

What are your thoughts team? I am guessing it is a rod bearing so it looks like a rebuild.

[ame]http://youtu.be/6xQVnlZCkr4[/ame]

Regards
A somewhat frustrated Anthony

I'd be looking in the bellhousing for a bolt hitting then get a mechanics stethescope.

Agreed. A rod bearing problem doesn't come and go like that nor does it sound like that. A rod bearing makes more of a lower thud type of knocking sound. That's a tapping sound more like a bolt hitting something or possibly even a loose rocker arm

Whit68, what do you mean by "setting the valve clearance"? Is this a solid lifter cam? If it's a hydraulic cam you don't want any clearance. In fact it's just the opposite, you want lifter preload. Please explain further

I'd be looking in the bellhousing for a bolt hitting then get a mechanics stethescope.

I felt that emphasizing this statement was worth it, since the trans was just installed.

Converter bolts hitting the dust cover are just common as hell after a trans install.

G'day all,

Done a bit more investigating and have found......

Tracked the nose down to #1, pulled a plug lead and it made no difference the noise is still there. I then took the pushrods out of #1 and started it up, noise gone so I am thinking it is something to do with the lifters (pretty sure they are solids).

I guess the next step is to take off the inlet manifold and have look see inside.

Regards
Anthony

If it bent a pushrod maybe the valve is intermittently sticking or a spring went bad. Rebuild the head.

I'll be tempted, with the issue showing itself on #2, to run some Mystery oil. It seems to me like you've got some varnish on that end of the engine.

It might be a good idea to pull each one and clean them all.

I had that type of noise before, turned out to be a worn fuel pump ecentric, it had a groove in it. drove me crazy troubleshooting it

G'day Daredevil - the pushrod bent when the transmission let go and revs went just a little high.

I will check out the sticking valve possibility as well (something else to look at!)

regards
Anthony

If it bent a pushrod maybe the valve is intermittently sticking or a spring went bad. Rebuild the head.

G'day Fishmens67 - at least I can discount that one, electric fuel pump:D

regards
Anthony

I had that type of noise before, turned out to be a worn fuel pump ecentric, it had a groove in it. drove me crazy troubleshooting it

-
Back