360 stroker questions

-
:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

No, I saying you might be able to sleeve it.
Just joking around with you.
It isn’t really cost effective.

So...open chamber heads. What are the options?
Early stock heads like a X or J head or older W2’s.
For power, if you have the coin, go W2.
The stock heads, as cast, do not support much power even on stock displacements. Porting a stock head quickly escalates in money to aluminum head money.
You could still do very well with a stock head. Though it’s choking the engine @ 400+ cubes.

Reading, “a street engine that never see’s the high side of 5500”, a lot of power can still be made down low.

I don’t think it’s considered open chamber but the 65cc version of the small block head has room in the chamber to clear stock high compression 340 pistons which are .025”-.030” above the deck. I think they are PN 60175.
I thought is was less. .018? IDK, it’s crazy early for me right now.

I thought is was less. .018? IDK, it’s crazy early for me right now.

My stock bore '71 340 has them as high as .035 out if you measure worst case rock, but the mean is .020-.025. I am pretty sure it hasn't been decked but I could be wrong. Trying to decide what I need for a gasket to run my ProMaxx heads which don't have room for the piston. But I need to either rebuild or get new rods first. I might just throw the stock pistons in the lathe and knock a little off the tops to make the zero-decked so I can run a standard .039 felpro gasket.

Early stock heads like a X or J head or older W2’s.
For power, if you have the coin, go W2.
The stock heads, as cast, do not support much power even on stock displacements. Porting a stock head quickly escalates in money to aluminum head money.
You could still do very well with a stock head. Though it’s choking the engine @ 400+ cubes.

Well, so much for that plan. The only stock heads I'd run on a stroker would be Magnums.

My stock bore '71 340 has them as high as .035 out if you measure worst case rock, but the mean is .020-.025. I am pretty sure it hasn't been decked but I could be wrong. Trying to decide what I need for a gasket to run my ProMaxx heads which don't have room for the piston. But I need to either rebuild or get new rods first. I might just throw the stock pistons in the lathe and knock a little off the tops to make the zero-decked so I can run a standard .039 felpro gasket.

Well, so much for that plan. The only stock heads I'd run on a stroker would be Magnums.

Cometic for custom thickness head gaskets.
Expensive? Yes.
Worth it? Oh yes.
Reusable? Yes.
Buy once, cry once, you’ll have them a long time.

I ordered a set of .100 thick head gaskets. Works perfectly. Been years. Had the heads on and off half a dozen times swapping heads and such. They still work fine. There under a 11.5-1 360 now.

Cometic for custom thickness head gaskets.
Expensive? Yes.
Worth it? Oh yes.
Reusable? Yes.
Buy once, cry once, you’ll have them a long time.

I ordered a set of .100 thick head gaskets. Works perfectly. Been years. Had the heads on and off half a dozen times swapping heads and such. They still work fine. There under a 11.5-1 360 now.
No quench, less compression...but more detonation. Awesome!

If there's any chance you can sonic test the block before purchase, I'd sure do it.

If it was me, I'd prefer very much to start off with a block that had not already been bored out 0.60. That's a lot, and it doesn't leave you with any wiggle room.

If it was me, I'd prefer very much to start off with a block that had not already been bored out 0.60. That's a lot, and it doesn't leave you with any wiggle room.
Correct. what will he do "next time"?

No quench, less compression...but more detonation. Awesome!
Just a question.....why not call blueprint and see what kinda deal they can offer? 3 year 36,000 mile warranty. Nuff said.

Correct. what will he do "next time"?
It makes one wonder what one would do next time?.. even if it was 30 over and you wanted to rebore it to go to the next size would be cheaper to buy another block and bore it 30 over or buy new pistons and have them hung? You're going to be in it the machine work for boring and new rings and bearings anyways? For my 410 my block was 150 bucks my forged pistons... A good bit more than that...

That's a Magnum short block... LA's getting harder to find.
They say it’s a Magnum short block (by default) but Magnum blocks with the LA drilling are still out there and it’s possible one may still get one. Yes, It is a crap shoot as to what era block you’ll receive. Something to keep in mind.

There are a couple of rockers that will oil through the pushrods for the LA heads. PRW, Comp’s Pro Magnum and Hughes engines.

I have the Hughes and PRW rockers. Both are very nice.

Just a question.....why not call blueprint and see what kinda deal they can offer? 3 year 36,000 mile warranty. Nuff said.
Agreed. For about the same price it would cost to build your own, you get a complete, tested engine with a warrantee.

-
Back