360 torque converter

-

ricardosdemon72

Reaction score
Hay guys! Need help.. I am converting to a 340 from a 360... I know that the 360 is externally balance and the 340 is internally balanced.. my question is if I Remove the counter weight of the 360 torque converter will i be able to use it on the 340 motor without any issues?

I believe that would work. As long as evrything else on the convertor is perfectly even and nothing else there that would cause a counterbalance. I'd would try it (but then again, I'm fearless) {I might even try balancing it on my head first to see if it would fall to to one side} LOL...just kidding. OR...dont take a chance and get a 340/318 type of convertor.......they're not too much (unless yours is a racing convertor and your trying to save it or something)

Knock the weight off and don't worrt about it.

I know that the 360 is externally balance and the 340 is internally balanced

You know that YOUR 340 is internally balanced?!? Only the early 340s with the forged cranks are internally balanced. Later cast crank 340s were externally balanced.

Just tryin to clarify.

Those "later 340s" that were externally balanced were ONE year only. 1973. So it stands to reason the odds are on your side to have an internally balanced 340. You do need to double check, though. Also, I wouldn't just "knock the weights off". I've seen people do that and knock a hole in the converter knocking the weights off. That would suck. I would get a cut off wheel and carefully cut the weights off.

Thanks guys... yes I know it's internally balance that is the reason I want to knock off the weight on the 360 TC cause it's externally balanced... I would do the right thing and just buy a Neutraly balance torque converter but like all of us trying to balance life and toys budget budget budget! Lol! Thanks for the help guys...time to start chopping

OK, just checking. BTW I've had two 340s in my life and both were externally balanced. My current is a 69 that someone stuck a cast crank in!!!!

-
Back