360 Torque Convertor Balance?

-

jeeper

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have a 74 360 out of a truck. It has no torque convertor/flexplate etc.

I understand there is a difference in balance etc. compared to other small-block engines.

I would like to be able to run any convertor from most any small block.

Isn't there a universal flexplate or something so that I can change engines between my 318 and a 360 etc. and use the same convertor etc.

Thanks as always, ROB

What you need is the B&M flex plate for the 360.Its built for racing and is already has the counter balance you need to use any none neutral balanced convertor.This flex plate is for all types of externally balanced motors.that use a counter weighted dampener,and convertor.If you need too use the old convertor after installing the flex plate,nock off the eights off the convertor and bolt up the convertor,now its a neutral balance convertor.you should have a weight on either side of the drain plug on the convertor.Mrmopartech

Two more quick questions:

1. So the B&M would allow me to have the greatest interchangeability?
2. It would allow me to interchange with my 70's 318 parts, correct?

Thanks, ROB

The B&M flex plate for the 360 is balanced for the 360, looks like a big cookie with a bite out of it.

It would allow you to run any neutral balance converter. Taking all the weights off of any given converter will not make it neutral balanced. It would need to be balanced to neutral.

The B&M flex plate (truly a misnomer as you will see if/when you get one) will allow you to use a converter from any internaly balanced small block, /6 273 318 and 340's.

Thank you.

Now back to research mode.

I am getting an engine stand tomorrow so I can start to look into the 360 and see what is up on the inside.

ROB

-
Back