360 truck rear-end compatible?

-

mopardart72

I'm a pretty big deal
Reaction score
given the rarity of 8 3/4s in my area im wanting to put a 360 in my duster from a 90s dodge ram if i change the gears and axels will the rear end bolt up to the leaf springs of an a-body or will i have to keep looking for an 8 3/4

I used a 9.25 axle from a Ram in my Duster. Had to have it cut down to standard A-body length. I purchased Moser axles with 8 3/4 ends to get rid of the C clips. Make sure you get an early rear with 3" axle tubes because late rears had 3.5" axle tubes. Mine bolted right up to my SS leaf springs. Came out cheaper than building a new 8 3/4 too. Much stronger also.

Here's a pic.

Attachments

• rear end pic on trailer.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 228
Many trucks came with 8 3/4 rears in the late 60's early 70's. Here is one in my 73 W100

Attachments

• Exhaust3.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 231
If you don't want to have a housing narrowed then you could find a 9" from an early bronco. They are the same width as an A body, but you have to move the spring perchs. A few guys on here have used ford 8.8 rears in their abodies from explorers also, because they are dirt cheap.

im just looking for a rear end thattl hold up to my future power plans, i would greatly appreciate it if you could give me a list of compatible rear ends

You might want to let everyone know what your power plans are so they can make a list for you

For those power levels I would keep looking for a 8.75 or a dana 60 if you stay mopar (I have no experience with the truck rear you have). Or a ford 9 inch. Even though I have a ford explorer 8,8 in my car I personally wouldn't trust it at those levels. If ford 9 inches are common in your area I would probably go with that.

Dont let narrowing a housing scare you, find someone local who does it.

For those power levels I would keep looking for a 8.75 or a dana 60 if you stay mopar (I have no experience with the truck rear you have). Or a ford 9 inch. Even though I have a ford explorer 8,8 in my car I personally wouldn't trust it at those levels. If ford 9 inches are common in your area I would probably go with that.

Dont let narrowing a housing scare you, find someone local who does it.

xactly. Custom axles are only a little bit more money. I don't want to open a can of worms, but a ford 9" if built right is very strong. They are also everywhere and offer many more gear ratios. There is also a cheap disc brake upgrade using an 8.8 rear disc brakes from an explorer (same bolt pattern). you just have to modify the backing plate a little.

With that much power you can't go cheap on the rear. Leave that to the chivvy guys who puke axle shafts at the track. I have no doubts that the Mopar 9.25 can handle 550-600hp. The only thing I regret is I didn't install a Detroit locker and Richmond gears. I got a great deal on an Auburn sure grip and factory gear set. I'm making nowhere near 600hp but when I do I will upgrade. I do have a 1350 chromoly pinion yoke though. I have about $1100 total. That will only get you a new center section for a 8.75.

a 360 making 550-600hp is one hell of a daily driver. my dads demon runs a 525hp 451 stroker motor and runs deep into the 10s. he drives it to the track and back and that car is a hand full. not to mention the price of gas......... i think that 400hp is plenty enough power to play with on the street. and it would be alot more forgiving on the street. just a thought.

im planning to do everything to the car before i even build the engien to those specs im looking at pro charging it, i dont want to build an engine then drop it in with no good rear end, or any suspension work to accomodate the engine, thanks for all the replys i appreciate it, Also whats a good gearing setup for this build? i was thinking 4:10s or maybe 4:30s but i thought about it and i would say bye bye to gas mileage with those ratios, but i could be wrong what do you guys think?

Your last sentence reminded me of a Carrol Shelby quote:

"Fuel mileage? We don't give a sh*t."

With the kind of power you're planning, it ain't gonna be a mileage champ. And you ain't gonna featherfoot it either, are you??

ATB

BC

i will while there are cops areound LOL but no i wont be gone in 60 seconds style driving this car as i am only 20 years old and the quickest car ive ever drove was a little under 450hp i think im comfortable with 600 but 150hp is a big step up also

-
Back