360 with Nitrous?

-

servicegroup

Reaction score
I got a hold of a running 360. Its currently stripped down and at the machine shop. Im curious as to what is needed in advance in order to add nos to this engine? Will it handle it? I originally wanted to do a stock/mild rebuild but i want a little extra :) Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated..

50-75 hp system if done right can be done on a stock motor, as long as your not spraying it from every stop light. If your wanting more than that, say 150+, then forged pistons, better rods, nitrous cam, ect. will be in order. Just remember giggle gas can be very adictive and it is always tempting to add just a little more.

I was thinking 50. But since im building up the engine regardless maybe its wise to spend the extra cash and time now instead of later down the road. Ive rebuilt stock engines. With stock parts. Never anything custom or slightly in that direction. Where is a good source or outlet to see what parts go best with what, and what to expect.

If you had a clean slate on this 360 what would you do. Mild and Cost Effective AKA CHEAP ...lol

I was thinking 50. But since im building up the engine regardless maybe its wise to spend the extra cash and time now instead of later down the road. Ive rebuilt stock engines. With stock parts. Never anything custom or slightly in that direction. Where is a good source or outlet to see what parts go best with what, and what to expect.

If you had a clean slate on this 360 what would you do. Mild and Cost Effective AKA CHEAP ...lol

The guys from Roadkill found a broken down 60's barracuda in a junk yard, installed a 750 double pumper and a nitrous kit, did a bunch of work to other parts of the car and sprayed its 360 to trap 110 mph a couple days later. I would think things like timing and spark plug gap and air/fuel mixture would be the things youd really want to focus on to help it live for a while with a mostly stock rebuild & small squeeze making a guesstimated 400 hp ya know?

The guys from Roadkill found a broken down 60's barracuda in a junk yard, installed a 750 double pumper and a nitrous kit, did a bunch of work to other parts of the car and sprayed its 360 to trap 110 mph a couple days later. I would think things like timing and spark plug gap and air/fuel mixture would be the things youd really want to focus on to help it live for a while with a mostly stock rebuild & small squeeze making a guesstimated 400 hp ya know?

That what im aiming for :) Thank you sir..

The stock internals are plenty strong to take a 150 shot for years of racing. If you're worried about it just run 100. IMO, a 50 shot isn't even worth the effort. Of course with any nitrous system you must make sure the fuel system is adequate and be able to control timing. When in doubt, pull more timing.

You don't need anything fancy to run juice on a 360

KB107's will take juice, it's important to get a solid tune up. fuel supply and retarding timing are the biggies.

Seen a stock cast piston 440 and 360 take 250 shots for a long time. The tune ups were spot on.

There are guys on yellowbullet throwing 350+ Hp hits on NOS on stock internals. As Cracked has said. The tune needs to be spot on. Run a separate fuel system just for the NOS and creep up on the Garbanzooo hit! haha

:toothy7:

Seriously here... A good Crane /Crower ( the nitrous grinds ,on a 112 lobe center I have seen work. Good exhaust system, GOOD ignition system( MSD /Crane boxes good. Prefer MSD analog myself, the Crane HI-6 is bulletproof wired correctly..) A good rering, with stock pistons/ rings will get you there.. A good valve job,with actual radius cuts /real attention to the valve job... If you need someone good,send me a P.M...

Not to steal his thread, but I have a 360 block, heads, rings, & forged rotating assembly: (4340 H beam rods, 4340 stock stroke crank, & heavy KB forged pistons) at a machine shop...

if I don't use a progressive nitrous set up, how much Nitrous could I throw at it? does it matter what lifters I use?

Karl... A basic 360 rering with basic N20 , showing chunky overweight overpriced builds taillights, now that's a laugh...

No, you missed my point.

Nitrous... Laughing gas....

I wasn't poking fun at 360's with nitrous, just making fun of the nickname of nitrous of "laughing gas"...

If you had a 360 with nitrous and it leaked into the passenger compartment, then you would be laughing....

Spend a little extra and put MLS gaskets on it, and arp head studs and you won't have to worry about blowing a head gasket.

Good parts and tune are very important! But, run a dedicated fuel system!!!! Separate supply line, pump, filter. Well, you get the picture. Good luck! Shane

Dedicated fuel system deffo as has been said.......I ran a '71 340 Cuda with 10.5:1 TRW forged pistons and Fel-pro Blues back in 1987 with 2 blue pumps, 1 for the N20 alone, 10mm Moroso hard lines, hit it with a 250 shot off the line (110 N20 jet/110 fuel jet), it was a walk in the park, came back a bit on the timing, it went from the 108mph N/A to 123mph, sweet, no drama's, no tipped plugs NGK 7's. Keep the N20 fuel supply strong and a 100>125 shot should be ok even on 360 cast pistons, CR/timing/fuel type are all important to tune, if money allows throw a set of forged slugs in there for when the addiction gets too much!!

No, you missed my point.

Nitrous... Laughing gas....

I wasn't poking fun at 360's with nitrous, just making fun of the nickname of nitrous of "laughing gas"...

If you had a 360 with nitrous and it leaked into the passenger compartment, then you would be laughing....

Not a 360,A 396 rat. And yes,I did laugh... Scared the daylights out of everyone,when the bottle to N20 solenoid rubbed a crevice in it...

-
Back