360la cam help.

-

Plato2k5

Reaction score
For my 88 jeep wrangler that sees some road driving in the summer. I need it to idle with a fair amount of vacuum. I want it to sound throaty/raspy/mean at idle though. Current cam is a CompCam http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-20-222-3/

360LA block out of a 78 magnum
Heads are out of a 88 w150 truck w/ some porting done
Speed Pro flat top pistons with 5cc valve cuts
73cc heads (not sure if they have been decked)
Estimate compression would be 9.8:1 or higher
Stall speed is 2-2,500rpm
Edelbrock 28155 MPI single plane intake good from 3,500-8,500rpm
Megasquirt computer management
MSD 6AL w/ blaster coil and stock distributor
tf-727 trans with stage 3 B&M shift kit
4.56 gears with 35" tires
At the moment I have it rev limited to 5,500rpm but would feel safe going to 6,000.

I called CompCams and they recommend a custom grind. Hyd. lifters.
Grind Number 5086-5105H112+4 Lift 520 In: 224 exh: 231 1.6rocker

I would purchase some roller tipped rockers.

I was going to call crower but they are out to launch :( Any other recommendations?

thanks,

Kirk

What they recommend sounds real good to me. I doubt you could go bigger and still have enough vacuum to run the brakes if that's what you need it for. I had the Comp 20-223 in my 360 and it only pulled about 10 inches of vacuum which is just barely enough to operate a brake booster.

Oh yeah if you want another opinion from a cam grinder give Jim at Racer Brown a call at 410-866-7660. He's super sharp and a real nice fellow. His stuff is priced super good too. I recently built a 454 for a buddy and called Jim and he told us what he thought would work good and I ordered it and we are really pleased with the performance and it was only $250 shipped for cam and lifters.

Thanks for the response. Yes I need brakes.....when in 4 low Id like to stop and hold LOL. Do the heads need to be clearanced for anything? What springs? Can I just use speed pro lifters at $3 a pop? I know ill have to measure for push rods

Thanks for the response. Yes I need brakes.....when in 4 low Id like to stop and hold LOL. Do the heads need to be clearanced for anything? What springs? Can I just use speed pro lifters at $3 a pop? I know ill have to measure for push rods

Yes with a larger cam you'll need the valve spring pockets cut to accept dual springs and have the valve guides cut down for clearance. Any reputable machine shop can do this and it isn't too expensive. As to springs, use what the cam mfg. recommends. I wouldn't go with standard lifters on a performance cam. Anti-pump up type are far better. Plus most cam mfg.'s wont' warranty the cam if you use other brand lifters.

ok.. now another question:

What if I keep my current cam and just install the 1.6 ratio rockers. This would neat me intake .492 exhaust .501 .

Than I wouldn't need to get any machine work done? However I see this cam says not computer controlled compatible. Is that due to the center line?

Anytime you go over .480 lift you run the risk of retainer to guide interference so more than likely even 1.6 rockers would put you over the limit. You might get lucky though. Only way to know is measure how much clearance you have.

I'm not a computer control guru but I'd guess it's the centerline. All cams I see for computer controlled apps are a wide centerline. That's probably why Comp spec'd the wider centerline along with the fact it makes more vacuum.

yeah that is what I was figuring. I guess there really is no "cheap" way to do this haha. Maybe I should just leave it the way it is :(

Yeah. The custom comp sounds like it'd up the power a good amount but it is alot of work and cost. I can tell you just installing 1.6 rockers don't do much for power generally. I've done it twice and I saw a small gain both times but it was really not much.

well I ran a chevy tbi setup on my engine with the megasquirt so I'm sure just the intake change and having 8 injectors over 2 will be a HUGE increase in response and power. I just figure since the engine is out and getting all new gaskets .... what better time than to do a cam swap. Plus I'm not fond of the NOT COMPUTER COMPATIBLE on the cam i have.

That simply means the factory engine management won't be able to compensate enough for it. Not the Megasquirt you have. Factory Mopar PCMs can't be reprogrammed for anything. The Megasquirt should be able to be changed as needed.

-
Back