360la loosing oil pressure at high rpm.

-

Plato2k5

Reaction score
I installed some roller tipped rocker arms and now when I hold a high RPM you can watch the oil pressure drop. I am using a magnum stock pan as I wanted the one piece pan gasket. I can't seem to find a 8qt pan for the magnum... ?

I think that since the oiling on the rockers is better , I just run out of oil in the pan.

Anyone else have these problems? Is there an 8qt magnum pan or do I have to go back to the LA pan without a one piece gasket?

At what RPM?

Theres a difference in Magnum pans? MP sells one peice LA pan gaskets.

At idle i get 60psi cold....then during normal cruising its around the same. As soon as I hit the gas and the rpm goes above 4k it starts dropping after a bit. This is in my jeep wrangler so I figured it might be due to running up the sand hills and the oil sloshing away from the pickup. But it does it on flat land as well. Could it be that the torque of my engine with the gearing is causing the oil to shift to the rear running the pickup dry?? I never had this issue until I installed the roller rockers. At the same time i installed the pan but they looked identical to the LA pan.

I did not reach above 5k rpm when this happened and its rev limited to 5500.

if the pan is a bit deeper than the stock one, your pickup may be running dry... I would try adding more oil, 1/2 qt oil at a time, and see if it does the same thing.

When you put the pan on, did you take notice to the pick ups clearnace height to the pans bottom? It could be high. You really wnt to get it down low.

Did you check clearance of the rockers or measure any thing on them, if they rock on angles when on the shaft?

I have extra shafts. I slid my Comp roller rockers on them. I noticed they were tight on there. I had to move them myself. They would not flop over, just stay where they were when I pisked them up on the bar.

I moved them all over to a set of MP hardened chrome bars and they all moved very smoothly with no play on any angle. They would spin around with a flick of the finger. Not so on the Comp bar. Stiff they were. Like rig on the dead.

-
Back