3751213 cylinder head questions

-

ducter

Reaction score
I have been doing some identification work if you will on my 73 dart sport, just recently got it and am working on figuring out what all I need.

The heads are 3751213, research shows them to be 73 "motorhome" heads. I dont know if any work had been done to them or not, was wondering what the stamped numbers on rocker arms would represent?

thanks

Attachments

• heads (Small).jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 880
What he said , and something looks odd , can you put a another picture taken a little further away ?

What he said , and something looks odd , can you put a another picture taken a little further away ?

Sure, hopefully these are OK?

Attachments

• IMG_20120903_142827 (Medium).jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 807
  • IMG_20120903_142843 (Medium).jpg
    141 KB · Views: 784
  • IMG_20120903_142836 (Medium).jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 743
Looks like their in the wrong spots to me.....
Like they need to be switched with the rocker next each other to center them

Hmm, you know what I hadnt noticed that honestly. I will go back out and have a look. I do see in the pictures how they arent centered..wonder if thats what JohnRR noticed as well.

thanks guys...heading out to look now

They are for sure not lined up over the valve stem. Check the rocker face if it is worn I would get another set.

Looking a bit closer, shouldnt a bolt be here? If so, anyone know exact size it should be?

Attachments

• bolt (Medium).jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 765
I think that think has been apart and put back together by a chevy person. LOL

LOL, I was a chevy preson...but take no claim to anything done to this car(YET). Has all bolts but that one, can I just pull one of the others and get another like it or are they different sizes? I think also the rockers are on wrong. I wonder what else I may come across..I already know the wiring is all goofed and honestly scares me to have to tackle as I dont know how it was to begin with, nothing really correct. Telephone line wire has been found already as splices.

I knew this was going to be a longish project mainly due to my lack of income currently but it gets better by the day lol.

EDIT: Anyone know torque specs for the head bolts and if I swap the rockers, torque specs for them bolts also?

Hmm, you know what I hadnt noticed that honestly. I will go back out and have a look. I do see in the pictures how they arent centered..wonder if thats what JohnRR noticed as well.

thanks guys...heading out to look now

Yes they are on backwards , all of them , and you are missing at least one head bolt .

rocker bolts are 25 ft/lb , heads are 70 ft/lb

Yes they are on backwards , all of them , and you are missing at least one head bolt .

So your saying they need to be swapped as in intake and exhaust swapped per set right? Also, can I just pull one of the bolts and get one the same size, or are they different?

thanks

LOL, I was a chevy preson...but take no claim to anything done to this car(YET). Has all bolts but that one, can I just pull one of the others and get another like it or are they different sizes? I think also the rockers are on wrong. I wonder what else I may come across..I already know the wiring is all goofed and honestly scares me to have to tackle as I dont know how it was to begin with, nothing really correct. Telephone line wire has been found already as splices.

I knew this was going to be a longish project mainly due to my lack of income currently but it gets better by the day lol.

EDIT: Anyone know torque specs for the head bolts and if I swap the rockers, torque specs for them bolts also?

Pull off the rocker shafts and inspect the contact area of ea. rocker. If it shows gouging or deep wear, where they contacted the valve tips you need to replace them. Let me know what you find. I have rtockers and a head bolt I can send you.

Pull off the rocker shafts and inspect the contact area of ea. rocker. If it shows gouging or deep wear, where they contacted the valve tips you need to replace them. Let me know what you find. I have rtockers and a head bolt I can send you.

Alright, thank you. I will have a look tomorrow and post what I find.

So your saying they need to be swapped as in intake and exhaust swapped per set right? Also, can I just pull one of the bolts and get one the same size, or are they different?

thanks

Yes you need to swap intake and exhaust on each pairing of rockers.

The bolt is a short one , it's the same length on the top 4 nearest the valley and the row under the exhaust , but you can't just go to the hardware store and buy a bolt .

Hey quick question, if I take the rockers off will the valves drop?

Got them pulled off today, still have to check other side as I just assume its installed the same way as drivers side, anyways, heres how they look. Some are a bit worse than others its a bit hard to tell in the pictures, what do you think?

Attachments

• IMAG0442 (Medium).jpg
    71 KB · Views: 646
  • IMAG0441 (Medium).jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 653
As long as you can't hang your fingernail on the wear spot your all right. Just start at one side of your shaft and start pulling off the pieces, lay them on at table in the order they came off, now take and reverse every pair of rockers than reassemble in the order you took them off. When you go to bolt the shaft assem. back on, tighten each bolt down a little at a time. You want to draw the shaft down tight equally. Do the same to the other side. Oh and as you tighten the bolts make sure the push rods are in the rocker arm sockets.

As long as you can't hang your fingernail on the wear spot your all right. Just start at one side of your shaft and start pulling off the pieces, lay them on at table in the order they came off, now take and reverse every pair of rockers than reassemble in the order you took them off. When you go to bolt the shaft assem. back on, tighten each bolt down a little at a time. You want to draw the shaft down tight equally. Do the same to the other side. Oh and as you tighten the bolts make sure the push rods are in the rocker arm sockets.

Alright, thanks for the advice. They are not that bad based upon your description and I think they are ok. I might take you up on your head bolt offer depending what I come across on the other side if that's alright with you. I looked arond summit and didn't see where I could order just a couple.

Thank you for your help. Also, on another note, do you know anything about the wiring on these cars? Mine is a bunch of ...well it has ends going no where, spliced all to hell etc..

The last thing I might need some know how on is the wiper motor and arm were on the back seat and I can't figure for the life of me how to get it back together, no way I can get in that little hole.

Put up a picture of the wiper set up. If you look on Ebay there is a guy that sells wiring diagrams for specific year Mopars. Pm me your address and I'll mail you a couple of bolts. I may take me 7-10 days before I'm home from vacation.

I will post some pictures tomorrow of the wiper set up and check out eBay, cars more hacked together with very little left stock so I was unsure about a new harness but that might be the best bet. The car is pretty far from road worthy and basically time is what I have the most of right now so no rush on the bolts. I will pm you my info, thank you. Hope your enjoying your vacation, my wife has been after me for sometime even if it's just an overnighter somewhere as my works been pretty slow for past few years...I need to do it, not real sure why she even likes me still, especially after almost 20 years with me lol.

Put up a picture of the wiper set up. If you look on Ebay there is a guy that sells wiring diagrams for specific year Mopars. Pm me your address and I'll mail you a couple of bolts. I may take me 7-10 days before I'm home from vacation.

Heres the wiper set up, wire on the one side isnt hooked up to anything, thinking it should be lol. Anyways, less I can get it back together wiring doesnt much matter.

The car is a 73 dodge dart sport with the fold down rear seat, sunroof and originally had a 340 in it, its not really in bad shape just really neglected. The wiring is horrible, sunroof...I think its missing parts possibly as it has no crank and I cant figure out what the crank would have attached to as I see no gear or anything. Been searching for an exploded view of one or something but not much luck yet.

Attachments

• IMAG0444 (Medium).jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 611
  • IMAG0445 (Medium).jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 595
  • IMAG0446 (Medium).jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 544
Your missing the bar that goes from one wiper arm to the motor unless it is laying down in there where youi can't see it. Those little white plastic conectors go bad after some years but you can still buy them. They snap over the studs.

-
Back