380HP/360 Crate

-

THEWHITEZOMBIE

Mopars an Heavy Metal
Reaction score
hey what do u guys think of this motor im lookin at the 380hp/360,i dont knwo crap about crate motors,is it good?let me know the goods an bads about the motor,what could i expect out of it at the track?whats a good combo to run with it,trans back?thatnks
MIKE
:afro:

Mopar Muscle had dyno tested it at Westech and ran the article in March 2003. I beleive it came out to 410hp. They used the M1 intake, a Demon carb, and claimed an extra 1-3 hp using Mobil-1 oil. I wander what they would have gotten if they used the R/T heads?

Yup the put out more then the advertised 380 horse. They run a good sized Hyd. roller cam so it wil need atleast a 10" converter and 3.91 gears. Theyre an easy 12 second motor. Ive considered them myself and would run a 904 with a low gearset a custom 9.5" convertrer and 3.91s or 4.10s with it.

Ive heard the stroys to but most are the short blocks wich are remans. The crate motors are are all new. You probably could build as much power for less money though.

BARRACUDA340S said:
I have heard a lot of horror story's about clearances etc! build your own!

My MP short block clearanced out OK. It was just full of crap and debris....

If you go for it, open her up and CHECK EVERYTHING!

I* agree you cant build a motor for that price., but when you build it you know what you are getting.

You can't have a shortblock built and delivered the next day for $1000 either. Yeah you need to clean them and check them but it's still cheap and fast. The Magnum crate engines are pretty reliable right out of the crate, I wouldn't take one of them apart as they are all new, based right off of factory assemblies. They do have a warranty with them as well if something is wrong.

Id still pull it apart, balance it and clean up the heads. Add a good 750 carb and some headers and go run some 12 with ease.

Chrysler was never well know for thier factory balance jobs though. If its apart may as well check it.

I'm building my own. Got a 360 out of an 87 van, I'm going to have it bored .030, and the deck skimmed & balanced. 9.0 hyp. pistons, and drop on the Magnum R/T heads, and either the 300 hp cam or the R/T cam (leaning toward the R/T). Use the Eddie Air-Gap intake and a Holley Street Dom carb. 727 trans and an 8-3/4 (741 w/3.73 gears) I think that will put some oompf at the pedal IF I want it, ya know if I'm out on a little drive and want to goose it. :D :wink: :thumrigh: :twisted:

I've had mine for seven years.All it does is haul a$$.The only crate motors I've seen have problems were all the early bigblocks.I know several people with the 380's and not one of them has had any trouble at all.I just found one for a buddy for $2900.Thats less than I paid 7 yrs ago.

I got a 360/380 from Westoaks a couple years back and I'm real happy with it. Cost me 4100.00 to my door(honolulu). Added march pulleys, holley 750 w/ proform main body(can't recall jet size), all MSD electrics, moroso accumulator for initial startup, and tti exhaust all the way back. The motors not as stout as the 340 i took out of the car(blew it up), but it has plenty bang for the buck, imo.

You also have other campanies that offer short blocks as well. I'm looking at this company right now to get a short block from for my Demon.

http://www.bulletperformanceengines.com/EngineDetail.aspx?iid=60

Anyone have any experience with them. Their engines are available to order through some parts stores I know Autozone has them for sure cause I was looking at the Bullet Performance catalog when I was there the other day. I don't remember how much they run but I'm heading down there in a bit and I'll check it out.

I'm also going to send the company an email asking about the rebuild process.

I've also spoken with the people at Maund Motorworks. They are a popular EBay company and the guy is great with customer service even though I haven't bought anything from him yet, haha.

-Alex

That was an old post of mine above, things have changed. I'm have std magnum heads and I'm using the 340 cam from MPP's, with a 9.6 CR and a Prof Products Crosswind intake, planning on a Holley St Avenger 770 carb, TTI headers/exhaust and 50 series FM's. The 727 has a TF2 Kit in it,
If I'm not mistaken they are using R/T heads now for the crates, they stopped making std magnum heads, the price reflects it as well.

-
Back