383/440 Chrome valve cover bolts

-

CL3406

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 67 383 & 68 440 that both came with the original chrome valve covers but the cover bolts are long gone. Should they not be chrome as well? If so who supplies them? Thank you for your time.

I've never seen a chrome bolt for that. There are other chromed options.

1693241080209.png

I always use studs, washers, and nuts.

Thanks for your reply but I am looking for what was originally stock for the bolts. I guess I should have clarified that part. Cheers.

Hello, I have a 67 383 & 68 440 that both came with the original chrome valve covers but the cover bolts are long gone. Should they not be chrome as well? If so who supplies them? Thank you for your time.
Yes, the chrome valve covers from Direct Connection had chrome bolts too. Brings back memories!

My 69 383 Dart GTS had factory chrome valve covers and orange bolts the same color as the engine...

Direct connection Chrome plated bolts...vintage$$$

My factory '67 383S has normal valve cover bolts with studs at both ends of the bottom flange. They are unpainted except for maybe a random dab of turquoise paint here or there, I think the chrome valve covers were installed right after the engines were painted and still wet.
Tom at R/T Specialties sells what you need if looking for stock replacements 1000048 BOLT SET VALVE COVER B/RB, ENGINE & ENGINE BAY, 1000048 :Mopar Fasteners, Clips & Hardware
Otherwise as others have noted, the Direct Connection ones are chrome plated, currently there is a set on ebag for $37.95 plus shipping.

I have started making studs for the valve covers instead of using bolts. I use 1/4-20 threaded rod, cut to length, use a dab of red Loctite and screw them in tight with double nuts. Remove the nuts, let the Loctite set up, then install valve covers with stainless flat washers and stainless nylock nuts. Certainly not factory, but it looks nice and works great.

Be careful with red loctite and small diameter fasteners. Almost permanent, might take a torch to remove the studs if you ever want to.

-
Back