383/496 stroker

-

Dustermick

Reaction score
Hi does anyone have experience using this 440source kit , looking to have built a good street/strip motor and after around 550hp but will it be reliable? Is anyone using such a set up on the street ? Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks

I built a 400/500. I ordered my parts individually, but if I had it to do over again I would order the 440 source kit. It comes pre-balanced which is a plus. I used 440 length rods and I ended up with very short pistons causing some piston slap. I would go for the 383 length rods. My combo with pocket ported 452 heads and a hydraulic roller cam made 550 HP and 610 TQ. Yes, with all that torque, this is a perfect street engine.

IMG_1062.jpg

IMG_1075.jpg

I built a 400/500. I ordered my parts individually, but if I had it to do over again I would order the 440 source kit. It comes pre-balanced which is a plus. I used 440 length rods and I ended up with very short pistons causing some piston slap. I would go for the 383 length rods. My combo with pocket ported 452 heads and a hydraulic roller cam made 550 HP and 610 TQ. Yes, with all that torque, this is a perfect street engine.

View attachment 1714956082

View attachment 1714956083
qkcuda, exactly what cam (specs) and rockers are you using? We also have a set of pocket-ported 452's (on a 0.030 440) and they work well but I'll bet a pair of Trick Flow heads would add another 50 hp minimum and easily put you over the 600 hp mark. I like 440 Source's 6.535" rods for my 400/470 build.

qkcuda, that's what I was worried about the short pistons I mean I'm no engine builder , but if this combo works on the street and strip that's great , my friend who builds engines over here reckons it'll be OK but most of the stroker motors he's done are based on 440,s or 400,s , I plan on using trick flows, roller rockers and a decent cam to work with a 10" converter and 3.55,s .my current 383 has gone 12.5s in my 72 duster ,would like to be in low 11s.

I am using a Comp hydraulic roller 236/242 with around 540 lift. Those are Crane Gold 1.5 rockers. They work well, but are noisy. If I was buying new I would look at the bushed stainless steel roller rockers. My 452 heads flowed in the 250 cfm range. I since changed to Edelbrock RPM's with a little bit of port matching and clean up. I think I am between 575 and 600 HP now. The car has run 11.50's at up to 118 mph in full street trim with 3.55 gears and closed 2.5 inch exhaust. My pistons are super light at around 500 grams, but the oil ring is partially in the pin boss so it requires the support ring. i believe with the shorter rods you eliminate that problem.

Hi does anyone have experience using this 440source kit , looking to have built a good street/strip motor and after around 550hp but will it be reliable? Is anyone using such a set up on the street ? Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks

Installed correctly the 440 Source is a good reliable stroker kit. My 440 Source stroker is based on a 440 block but has survived up to 928 horsepower.

Thanks for all your advice and comments can't wait to get this started.
Cheers Mick
Sweet ! Let us know what you come up with & how you make out. I want to do the same stroker 383/ 496 for my 69 barracuda.

I have a 383 496 kit from muscle motors, I think it was the same price, it's a awesome combo, I'm making 590 hp and a little over 600 tq, with wheelspin and 355s, I ran a very low 12 at 118 mph, has this setup over 2 years now and 10,000 plus miles

^^ and he drives it hard. And the cam is fairly small.
The MM parts were dead on - expect the Source parts (crank and rods) to have some issues. At least in the rods' case I've had to have them fixed. Cranks are not finished as well as some others.

I was planning on using 440 source kit ,will check muscle motors kit out ,590hp sounds good must be plenty of wheelspin running low 12,s. Sounds like a pretty reliable set up which is what I'm after has it will be Street driven.

The bore size on the 383 is to small to be using the Trick Flow heads. Unless you really just want to spend $3000 and to find out the hard way I would just stick with the 452 heads. Properly ported 452 heads will support more than your combination will ever need on the street and then some.

Tom

I was planning on using 440 source kit ,will check muscle motors kit out ,590hp sounds good must be plenty of wheelspin running low 12,s. Sounds like a pretty reliable set up which is what I'm after has it will be Street driven.
This setup is very reliable, I beat the crap out of it! Lol, and I also go on long road trips also and will get 14 mpg.. I have ported 440 sorce heads and a smallish solid cam, which will be changed this winter.

My son is also looking at doing a 470 or 499 stroker in the future, based on a 400 that we picked up. What headers are you guys using in an A body ?

Installed correctly the 440 Source is a good reliable stroker kit. My 440 Source stroker is based on a 440 block but has survived up to 928 horsepower.
I missed it if you gave us the specs on that 928h.p. engine, I`d like to see the specs on it ! ----bob

-
Back