383 a good canidate for boost-Turbo

-

tooslow

Reaction score
I have a 383 that is stock in 68 Wagon. Lots of room in the engine compartment.

Is the bottom end of a 383 (crank, rods) strong enough for say up to 8 psi of boost. I would rebuild the engine with forged pistons and recondition the stock rods and crank

This is a learning experience and not looking to enter it in NHRA

I am going with "PRINE's" rec the GT 45 of ebay $245 includes shipping
This is a budget build and building all my own stuff

I answered my own question from reading threads. The factory crank is a good unit and I am also using the factory rods. Only purchasing Forged pistons-detonation.
Begginer and probally will have some detonation

I answered my own question from reading threads. The factory crank is a good unit and I am also using the factory rods. Only purchasing Forged pistons-detonation.
Begginer and probally will have some detonation

Yes the 383 crank and rods should be forged for that year but to be absolutely certain check the casting #'s. There were some cast 383 cranks and rods kicking around in 69 and 71 that someone could have put in and the 2 barrel factory 383 used them..

Ok-great
I have a 440 but I would like to build a MILD 383 (a little gas mileage this time).
My friend has a 383 short block thats apart. He will sell it to me for $300.
Otherwise I would have to pull the 383 out of the Coronet and since its a 2 barrell??/
I will get a pic of the counter weights

383 isnt the strongest mopar block,but it's not bad.You'll probably be just fine at 8 psi.

The 383 short block was out of a 4 speed car and the Crank has the deeper PILOT HOLE-
I checked it.(forged Crank for sure right?

(I dont know how to upload a pic on this forum)
I think of I store my pic in photobucket then I can upload a pic with the URL??
I need to work on it

To Upload pictures hit the GO ADVANCED button under this box you type in and then click on the paper clip drop down. A box will pop up and you can upload 10 images at a time. Watch the sizing though!

-
Back