383 and 2" ex. pipes

-

74fldart

Reaction score
ive gotten a 383 shoehorned into a 74 dart finally after a lot of work, now im in the process of hooking up wires cables hoses etc. im running low on $$ , and i needed to get an exhaust system. so i have pulled a complete dual exhaust system of a b body. ive cut it to fit and its looking ok, the only draw back is its a 2" system . what do you guys think about it, will it really choke the engine down much? i have headers on the motor, i think they are 1/3/4 " . the engine is a stock 1971 , (the last of them and lower compression) so its pretty mild.

ive gotten a 383 shoehorned into a 74 dart finally after a lot of work, now im in the process of hooking up wires cables hoses etc. im running low on $$ , and i needed to get an exhaust system. so i have pulled a complete dual exhaust system of a b body. ive cut it to fit and its looking ok, the only draw back is its a 2" system . what do you guys think about it, will it really choke the engine down much? i have headers on the motor, i think they are 1/3/4 " . the engine is a stock 1971 , (the last of them and lower compression) so its pretty mild.

If the engine is stock you probably won't notice a difference between 2" and 2 1/2" piping but it kind of shoe horns ya in. Any real mods like big carbs, intake manifolds or cams ain't going to like the 2". Whos headers are ya running.

Terry

You should be ok,as far as losing any power because of the small 2" pipes 383's are'nt known for making any real power...

the headers came from a swap meet and were rusted and i could find no name but the guy selling them said they were for an e body.it was rough but i got them to fit. well, ill try this exhaust sys. and later when i get ahead ill go for a 2.5" set.

You should be ok,as far as losing any power because of the small 2" pipes 383's are'nt known for making any real power...

That's a pretty silly statement Dave , mopar put a bunch of 383's in cars and they were a big part of the of what made Mopars name back in the musclecar era on the street .

As far as the 2" exhaust , yes it's going to be a restriction even with the small tube headers , the factory 383 cars had 2 1/4 " headpipes and they used the STOCK 340 2" tailpipes , when I switched over to a 2.5" mandrel bent system with the stock manifolds on my Dart it woke the engine up some , it's not the fastest car on the block , but it's a lot of FUN to drive .

383's Don't make any real power???OK What ever....

Yes the 2 inch will be ok for now.Once you start upgrading the engine such a Carb,intake,cam you will want to upgrade the exhaust.

So I guess that 330 factory rated HP really isn't alot? It's enough to get me into the 12's! Come by I will give you a ride in a "stock" 383 4spd 68 Barracuda and you tell me it doesn't have much HP!:cheers:

So I guess that 330 factory rated HP really isn't alot? It's enough to get me into the 12's! Come by I will give you a ride in a "stock" 383 4spd 68 Barracuda and you tell me it doesn't have much HP!:cheers:

Hey Dorian, yea I don't know why people don't consider things before making general statements like that.
Merry Christmas by the way.

Terry

Why do people say things like that. I've owned a couple "stock"383's in C body cars even and they were nothing to be ashamed of. I think that if your into mopars you should be INTO mopars . Just because It's not your personal preference, does not mean that they are not great motors.

2 in. will be fine. just uncap em when youre at the track. unless you get on it all the time you,ll never know the difference

It would work o.k. but the engines not really stock if it has headers-(big improvement)-years ago a buddy ran a 2in. and we couldnt get the carb right,we put on some glasspacks off the headers and it was a different car.The headers will flow great right into a bottle neck,if its only temporary you could just fab up some decent glass packs or cheap turbos.

It would work o.k. but the engines not really stock if it has headers-(big improvement)-years ago a buddy ran a 2in. and we couldnt get the carb right,we put on some glasspacks off the headers and it was a different car.The headers will flow great right into a bottle neck,if its only temporary you could just fab up some decent glass packs or cheap turbos.

on a stock engine a set of headers , especially those little tubes , are not that big an improvement .

I'd like to hear more about this , I'm told I can get my 383 dart into the 12's but it's going to take a nhra legal build and some steep gears to get it there ...

330 not bad..but i can remember spanking many a 383 car with a "stock" 340 dusters...if i'm ever out that way i'll take you up on that ride,and if you ever make it to the Boston area i'll give you a ride in a "stroked" smallblock duster,i'm sure you'll NEVER forget it..by the way Merry Christmas..:-D

on a stock engine a set of headers , especially those little tubes , are not that big an improvement .

All I know is it was good for a .30 improvement in a 71 b-body,I consider that a huge gain,just swapping from manifolds and stock duals to headers and 2.5 pipes and some carb adjustments.Back in the day that was the first thing to do off the showroom floor,uncap the exhaust and race.

330 not bad..but i can remember spanking many a 383 car with a "stock" 340 dusters...if i'm ever out that way i'll take you up on that ride,and if you ever make it to the Boston area i'll give you a ride in a "stroked" smallblock duster,i'm sure you'll NEVER forget it..by the way Merry Christmas..:-D

LOL Merry Christmas! Oh ya when I stroke out my 383 to 512 cu in we will compare your stroked small block to my stroked big block!

I have driven 340 a bodies and they go like jack the bear!

LOL Merry Christmas! Oh ya when I stroke out my 383 to 512 cu in we will compare your stroked small block to my stroked big block!

I have driven 340 a bodies and they go like jack the bear!

Obviously this "jack the bear" must be pretty quick...i've NEVER owned a 340 a-body that was'nt...

You don't need to go all the way out to his neck of the woods for a ride in a low 13/ hi 12 sec BB A body , But I'll have to leave the 383 in for you to go that slow ...

:snakeman:

Small exhaust-back pressure-picks up the bottom end, is for running under the cam range otherwise open or less back pressure is the way as long as your running the motor-cam in it's power band.

You don't need to go all the way out to his neck of the woods for a ride in a low 13/ hi 12 sec BB A body , But I'll have to leave the 383 in for you to go that slow ...

:snakeman:

13 or 12 seconds tooooooo slow for my taste,anytime you want a ride in a fast smallblock a-body let me know...

The 383 can be built to give you all the power you want although I generly like small blocks in A bodies it's just easier to get everything hooked up. Mod it like a hot small block it likes to rev and the torque will surprise you. That being said if you want a big block go for it, if it's not a race car who cares. Once you get the big block in there you can build some wild stroker combos if thats what you want. As far as stock 340 dusters smoking 383 cars you have to remember they were normally installed in cars that weighted alot less and the 340's HP was very understated for insurance reasons. They made alot more then 45 HP more then a stock 230 HP 318. You can use the smaller exhaust and for street driving it will be ok but your going to want to upgrade that at some point as it will be a bottleneck. The 330 HP 383 was derated to 300 HP when installed in darts mainly due to exhaust issues.

a 340 a body should beat 383 powered c bodies. it doesnt take a brain surgeon to figure that one out. the 2" pipes will be fine. not going to hurt anything. when you want to get serious about your 1/4 times. go with 3" and some straight through mufflers. even a mild 383 will like it.

-
Back