383 engine noise

-

forced 340

Reaction score
i wasn't sure what thread to put this in... my buddy's 67 coronet is making the most awful noise.. he drove it before the first snow, parked it, started it up a few weeks later and it has made the noise since. its not valve train.. i check all the preload on the rockers and they were just were i set them 5 years ago. it is inconsistent and doesn't make the noise at higher rpms(2200+). it is a very fast noise and sounds like an air hammer hitting the block! way to fast of a noise to be a rod knock. i noticed the end-play on the crank was a bit too much(.021) so i installed new mains. the end-play got better(.013) but was not perfect. the bearings looked OK with no black brunt marks. still makes the noise. i noticed one just one of the flex plate to converter bolts had a mark on it. so we removed the trans and found the hub on the converter was cracked. got the converter inspected and repaired. also i seen where the bolt was hitting. it was hitting the cam plug boss. installed a new sfi flex plate. before installing the trans i put the flex plate to converter bolt in the flex plate with some nuts on them, rolled the engine around to see how much clearance they had to the cam plug boss and it was about .150. i thought i had found the problem(converter/flex plate issues) so we put everything back together and the noise is STILL there! the same bolt is still hitting the block. any ideas would be great!!! thanks guys!

get you a stethoscope . you will be able to locate the area it is knocking from very accurately. it sounds like (no pun intended) it has to be a wrist pin, rod bearing, or piston slap. but im not there. it there metal in the oil? with the engine running and the trans inspection plate off, look under there with a flash light and see if for some crazy reason the converter and flexplate are wobbling, although i dont think that would be possible, but stranger things have happened

could be something around the oil pump / distributor shaft area. or even the water pump. especially if it sat a long long time the water pump could be about to go.

it's kind of weird it's only at low rpms. if it was a wrist pin it seems like it would do it at all rpms. but like 73AbodEE said a stethascope will do wonders to help find the problem

well..... i found the problem. my buddy dropped a washer down the carb!!!

friends dont let friends drop things down the carb lol. youre lucky it didnt make its way into the intake

friends dont let friends drop things down the carb lol. youre lucky it didnt make its way into the intake

o it did my friend! it made its way into #"s 8,6,and 4 cylinders! hes lucky it was a small soft washer! the only thing that was hurt was his pride/ego....

-
Back