383 for 1967 A Body Dart

-

270dart

Reaction score
I have discovered the 383 engine block motor mounts on a for an A body are unique.

I have a 383 out of a B body and would like to swap into a 67 Dart that is an original big block car.

Besides machining the mounts on the block, have any of you folks use any different methods?

I think most people use Schumaker mounts or the spool mounts. Have you checked out engine-swaps.com or bigblockdart.com? Tons of useful info there...or you can PM Jim Lusk

Welcome to FABO!

If the 383 has the two bosses on the front they can be drilled and tapped being careful to not drill too deep (use a drill stop to a little shallower than the height of the boss). The mount used is the same as a 65-ish C-body.

Mr. Lusk is correct.Lots of 383's have the bosses drilled....I even found 400's with the holes there when I built the 470" for mine.

Mr. Lusk is correct.Lots of 383's have the bosses drilled....I even found 400's with the holes there when I built the 470" for mine.

Yes, I have a 65 413 that has the bosses, but not drilled. Have a later 400 block with the bosses already drilled. And of course, my 440 has neither. :-(

Haven't decide what I will do yet, but definitely using the 440 in the Cuda. I have the BB K-member, which does me no good. Has anyone ever duplicated the mount from the original A-body 440 cars? (M-codes)

You guys have been great; thank you!
As a matter of fact, this post generated a PM to me about a 440 block that came out of a 69 Barracuda.
It got me to thinking about the 383 and what you all have mentioned.
If this 440 block is ready to slip in my 67 Dart with no machining and or aftermarket mounts or parts, I might just step up to the RB instead of the 383.

-
Back