383 horsepower

-

sirmopar

Reaction score
what kind of horsepower and drivability can i expect with this combo .

383 .
TRW 040 over L2315 pistons ,
452 heads ,
Edelbrock performer rpm Intake .
Holley 650 double pumper
lunati voodoo 10230704LK. Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 234/242
Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .513/.533

May the cam be too big for those pistons with NO valve relief?
Questions , comments , suggestions welcome . Thank you

Any build check valve clearance. I just went with same cam for the 440 I am building. Make sure to check coil bind and most likely will need valve seats ground to handle the lift as stock heads generally are good for about .520". Sounds to me like close to a 1:1 motor. That cam is good for a handful hP over stoc HP 383, along with the intake and headers. The limiting factor is the head. The stock chryslers don't flow we'll much past 450 lift stock.

Thanks guys , great article . good to see that a 383 responds so well . I already have those pistons , so i would Like to use them.

If you don't have enough p-v clearance you should be able to have a machine shop cut deeper valve reliefs.

If you are about -.020" below deck, and are running 2.08/1.74" valves, with a typical composite gasket, you will be really close with piston to valve contact. If you are running stock rocker gear it may save you as you won't get full lift due to them typically not being a true 1.5 ratio. I know of a member running the MP 509 cam, and he just makes the recommended clearance. Duration makes a difference in clearance too, so you will have to check.

I have a similar combo in my Barracuda, with a much smaller cam, it went 12.40 first time to the track, with major issues. It should run well for you.

Its gonna be a street car, and will never see the strip. obviously I still want plenty of power to set me back in my seat and hand a few camaros there *** !

-
Back