383 into /6 dart?

-

1973dartswinger

Reaction score
Hello guys and gals,
Right now I have a slant six in my 1973 dart swinger. I planned on keeping the /6 untill my friend let me knew his friend was selling a working 383 and tranny for $500.
I'm not sure if I will get the engine or the condition or anything about it(I have yet to find out)
But before I look into it I was wondering how much I would need to do to get the 383 into my car and working My questions are, what will I have to change to get the engine in and working,and any dificulties I would run into?

I know it is kind of vaque my question, but I basically wondering everything I need to do to get a 383 into my /6 dart.

-Thanks Mike

Talk to these guys about their engine mounts and headers http://www.engine-swaps.com/ . They ain't cheap but neither are the TTI's which are really your only options unless you want to go to fenderwell headers. You'll also need either a 187 or 699 stamped oil pan since they have the factory dent in them to miss the idler arm. Don't forget a minimum 3 core rad cuss the /6 one won't do the trick unless you live in the arctic. You can probably get away with the 8 1/4 rear if you leave the 383 stock but if you plan on souping the 383 or need a rear anyway find a 8 3/4 rear with snubber. I'd also recommend sub frame connectors unless you plan on babying it which kind of defeats the purpose of dropping in a 383 to begin with and changing the torsion bars to somewhere around .875". Last but not least how much money do you want to pour into the engine and tranny to make it a Stang Stomper.

Terry
my to the limit 383 71 Demon :burnout:

P9100005 (Custom).JPG

Don't forget about the front brakes! If you don't have disc brakes forget about stopping with a big block!

Well, I am kinda of a "noob" to these sorts of things. I know how to do basic things suchs as tune ups and the such. I'm just trying to get a feel for what it will take to get my car running with the 383 and aproximatly how much it would cost to get the stock 383 in there and running, and then aproximatly how much to get a mildly built 383 into the car. I need to see if I can afford to put the engine into the car first, because I still need to get body work and paint done on the car and I was hoping to have it on the road sometime durning the summer. Unless I were to buy another car to drive and just take my time with my dart. I would really like to have my dart with a built 383 if I can afford it. IF not that a stock 383. Right now I'm basically just feeling around to see about how much i would need to do it, and what it would take to do it.

And my car does have front disc brakes.

-Thanks,
Mike

Well, I also have a 74 swinger and want to do a big block conversion. Motor mounts are 150+, headers will be 500+, t-bars, connectors, you should have kelsey-hayes discs up front already, mine does. but a radiator from a 318 duster with a/c will bolt in you just gotta cut the opening, it is wider and thicker, same as gts 383. gotta get a shroud. gotta get short mount for fan. schumaker tri-y's bolt in w/ no hassles, I met a guy w/some who loves them said they were cake to install. craigslist has 8 3/4's all the time for pennies, and alston's chassis works has kit's to narrow them yourself if you can weld a little bit. a 383 will freakin rock in that dart, and no one will know what to say when you knock out 12 seconds w/a factory 383. I say do it do it do it do it do it do it do it!!!!!! I gotta take my time with mine due to financial constraints based on the fact that I have a whole nation of small creatures who look just like me that run around calling me dad or something like that, it's a trip, I wonder how that happened, my wallet is empty.....LOL :rock:

I have a 383 in my '73 but it was there when I bought it. Unfortunately I've spent the first two years correcting the screw-ups that the X-brand window licker did to get it in there. The shumacker kit is easy to install and I have the tri-Ys.; easier to get in when the motors out otherwise you have to pull the steering shaft. Definitly upgrade the brakes if they aren't disks already. I also recommend the torsion bar upgrade since your adding allot of wieght up front. And thats just SOME of the big stuff. But OHHHH Nellie hold on tight if you do 'cause that thing will Fly!!!

small block can be done for probably half the price and swapping a 383 for 360 c0mbo shouldnt be hard. big block swap for street is tough. strip is easier as handling isnt as important.

how about the room around the power booster for the brakes, it looks to me like it could be a tight fit, I have just done some measurments of my own, and it seems tight. All the pictures I see none of the cars have a brake booster in them. Also is there a link someone can send on the tri-y's.

Mike
73dartswinger
97 Ram 2500 cummins

I had both a 360 and a 440 that I could put in my 65 Dart 4 speed car, both small and big block eddy heads. When I added up all the cost it was an easy choice. The 440 is going in the car with a 440 Source 512 stroker kit. The 360/408 has been sold.

-
Back