383 or 318

-
LMAO, you can’t go wrong ether way

LMAO, you can’t go wrong ether way

Naw, i just have to overthink and worry bout every little thing :) I am looking for 400-450HP and dependable... a small block will be fine.. eventually 3.91's and i will have fun :)

Must have never had a big block in an a body ?
I love 340's and 360's have rode in a couple nice 318's
But the torque of a big block in an a body is nothing but smiles and pulling hard especially on the street !
Flick of the pedal and you are smoldering the tires.
Can a small block do that , Yes!
Can a stock 318 no way !
Can a stock 383 absolutely in an a body easy 13 second car with traction.
Power to weight all day long !
Now add some bolt on and 12's are right there with traction.
What most guys don't realize is, the 383 had 425lbs ft @3400 and a 340 had 340 lbs ft @ 3200.
If torque is what you want on the street then the answer is the 383.
I knew it always was. :D

Last edited:
Now some people are talking strokers the original post was 318 or 383 I'll take a 318(can't believe I'm saying this) with the bolt-on's I mentioned above on both a 318 or 383 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Are you sick again? lol

I like different. In the Mopar world, small blocks are like LS motors. Everybody runs them. I love a small block, but that's the truth. I'd run that big block just for no other reason than to see peoples faces when you raise the hood. You should see some of these cruise in guys when I raise Vixen's hood at some of these events. Total disbelief and shock that a six could sound like this.

My vote is for the 318 with a cheap stroker kit for torque. Of course I'm biased as I have a stroker smallblock with over 500ft;lbs of torque!

My auto tech teacher told us in the mid 90s " a small block Mopar is a cheap imitation of a small block chevy" keep in mind back then no one loved Mopars except a small group of car guys. And any mopar worth having back then was a big block car LOL! different times for sure. Not saying the shop teacher was correct that was his opinion. thing is mopar has good stuff lik ethe shaft mount rockers...ive seen more issues with stud mounted rockers than Ive ever seen with shaft mount.

I think I've said it before but I'd take the 383 more HP even in early 70s smog form

Obviously you tech teacher never had his *** handed to him by a 340 smoked many Chevy small and big blocks..

Obviously you tech teacher never had his *** handed to him by a 340 smoked many Chevy small and big blocks..
Oh my! 2brl engines don't count. lol
Doesn't sound like you ran any 351 Cleveland's or LT 1's.

351C heads make me moist..... what a world if mopar could have made those....

Not quite if you read what Yunick said back in the early 1980’s.

He said the Cleveland was 10 HP up on the SBC and the Chrysler was 8-10 up on the Cleveland.

There is more to making horsepower than a giant intake port. The W2 gets crapped on because it’s old and iron, but even by todays standards of low port heads the W2 kicks *** on most everything.

i don't remember running from any small block shivies back in the day. My brother built a 400 sbc with all the fixen's for his '71 Chevelle and I still beat him with the mild 340 I had in my '74 Dart Sport. I had 3.91's and he had 4.11's.

Whenever my buddy Moto showed up with his '66 GT with the junk yard 340 and 727 the Camaro, Chevelle, Rustang, and Nova guys all mysteriously discovered they had something else to do :lol: We did add a Purple Shaft, Hookers, and a slightly :rolleyes: used TQ from a CHP cruiser. We did eventually pull the 7 1/4 out of it which never gave him a problem behind that combo and replace it with a $35 "LOCKED" 8 3/4 with something near 4.10s in it. I think the LOCKED note in junk yard marker may have been trying to convey Sure Grip :lol: Junk yard cashier figgered it meant froze up :rofl: "$35 get it outa here!"

What most guys don't realize is, the 383 had 425lbs ft @3400 and a 340 had 340 lbs ft @ 3200.
If torque is what you want on the street then the answer is the 383.
I knew it always was. :D
I do love how people here that weren't there want to argue when you post about the old days. I cant afford to argue so they end up on ignore. Dumb folks who won't listen to the older guys passing on how it was. I suppose history doesn't matter they want to re state things and make bold statements like like "a 318 is just as good as a 340..." yeah ok ...its just to justify they didn't know, and dumped alot of money into a boat anchor because they listened to Uncle Tony... :lol:

I just think the 318 is a lot better than what most people make them out to be. Still, the truth be spoken right here and now,
“There is no replacement for displacement!”

You mean LA 318 or magnum? Id agree and if starting from scratch Id get a magnum 5.2 or 5.9 and yes in the true spirit of this thread when faced with the aforementioned choices I d pick 383. if all things were equal that would be the right choice for me . I mean I started out with a 318 in my first Mopar it isn't that I'm not familiar with them, I owned a slant in a Duster at one point also. I ended up with a 340 dart and the rest is history BUT if I had a B body or E body Id want the R or RB engine. I did help a feller install a 383 and Torqueflight in a 69 Dart once. that was a fun project. Engine plate and fenderwell headers etc.

You mean LA 318 or magnum? Id agree and if starting from scratch Id get a magnum 5.2 or 5.9 and yes in the true spirit of this thread when faced with the aforementioned choices I d pick 383. if all things were equal that would be the right choice for me . I mean I started out with a 318 in my first Mopar it isn't that I'm not familiar with them, I owned a slant in a Duster at one point also. I ended up with a 340 dart and the rest is history BUT if I had a B body or E body Id want the R or RB engine. I did help a feller install a 383 and Torqueflight in a 69 Dart once. that was a fun project. Engine plate and fenderwell headers etc.
Me? Ether 318 in a LA or a Magnum. Ether engine IMO will perform well and better than what people say. I just would not expect 340/360/400+ cubic inch performance out of it.

The 318 will punch holes through an equal size Chevy or Ford or whatever IMO. It just has to be built right for the job. Like any engine. But as said above……

Zero hate for the 318. I’ve built them before. I just didn’t have the holy high expectation and delusion that it would perform as well as a 340 built the same way.

Between the two, 318 vs 383, I already stated 383.
Any engine you build is because you want to build it. If the expense of a 340 block is to much for the budget and you stick with the 318 because your wallet is thin, besides that being OK with me, it really has to be about the person doing the engine and weather or not there wallet is really thick enough to be in this game in the first place. It doesn’t matter to me!

I do love how people here that weren't there want to argue when you post about the old days. I cant afford to argue so they end up on ignore. Dumb folks who won't listen to the older guys passing on how it was... I suppose history doesn't matter they want to re state things and make bold statements like like "a 318 is just as good as a 340..." yeah ok ...its just to justify they didn't know, and dumped alot of money into a boat anchor because they listened to Uncle Tony... :lol:
Still haven't figured it out. I don't need to tell people who don't know what they're talking about how to make horsepower. 340 was the factory recipe for a street car, it works for any engine.

In stock form the 318 is nowhere near the engine that the 340 is..and NEVER was!!!

Funny how some people can only view if an engine can be a performance engine by if the factory made it one or not. I bet if they put all the 340 goodies on the 67 318 a year before the 68 340 came out people would view the 318 different.

I saw this thread at the beginning and thought "383 all the way. Shouldn't even be a question".

The OP stated "want performance, bolt-on not machining, gas mileage not an issue".

4 pages in, the war still rages.

Last edited:
Hi Tim! Love your YouTube channel!
Lets see, where to start.. Yes, i want performance, (bolt on if possible) Not really looking to send out the blocks to enlarge cylinders, basic honing /resurfacing if needed. Street cam, for sure, maybe bolt on heads if the budget allows. Dont care about gas mileage, otherwise id keep the slant. I want to take it to the strip but cruise it on the street. I plan on putting a narrowed 8.8 rear end or 8 3/4. disc brakes in front /rear. I want it to be a driver on the street but fun on the strip. If its possible to do power steering with a 383, then ill go that route. Manual steering is fine as well, not a deal breaker i guess?
I take it You are planning on using a 727 trans?

-
Back