383 or 440

-

plummkz

Reaction score
i would like to thanks for all the great help ahead of time I have a 71 demon putting a big block in I have a 71 383 hp motor and a 77 440 the 383 has a mild build already so here is the question because this 440 was smog motor do I stick the money in the 440 punch it out 30 with a nice street cam and alum heads or can I get good power out of the 383 doing some research the newer casting blocks are stronger and cool better i know any big block a body car can get up and move just wanted to see some of you opinons thanks

I vote 383. I had a 68 Charger with a 383 and it was a screamer. I guess I'm a little bias because of that but a good running 383 is nothing to laugh at.

You'll ultimately be able to get more power out of the 440, but either way you'll have to dump some cash into it. You can make the 383 stand next to the 440, but again you'll have to dump some cash at it. However, saying all that, the lower deck 383's and 400's make for some extra room under an a body hood....

Heavy car..440, light car 383. But its all up to you. 383 is dimensionally smaller for header clearance if its tight. Same heads, theoretically they can put out the same HP but at different RPM levels. 383 being higher revs.

Well there more to it in my opinion. 383s have smaller journals than the 440s. Larger journals are beefier yes, but does create more friction to boot. There are stroker kits for both and the 383 and 440 so larger CIDs are available as well. The Stage VI heads will work with both RB and B blocks, 440 intakes are required on either block. 916 heads are available, not too exspensive. Aluminum heads are better flowers and in all reality better heads but more $. When I had my 383, 440 guys would always tell me I do not have a big block, just a B motor. It's a big stigma with us Mopar nuts, RB motors were in the majority of the "Breakneck Mopar Mustle Cars" and therefore anything different is not the same. Both motors will cost about the same to build, but..."There is no replacement for displacement."

-
Back