383 swap

-

dustya_383

Reaction score
Hey guys.

So I'm picking up a 383 on Monday and 727 .. I got a steal on these which is why I getting them I have to get rid of one of my cars and couldn't find any complete small blocks around. So I opted for this complete 383 Drivetrain.... These are out of a 66 polara . I hear that cbody oil pan will clear for abodies. This will be going in my 74 duster . Any other obstices
Or tricks to make this swap go smoothly .....

I hear that motor mounts from a 76 cordoba with a 400big block will drop the 383 in with little to no modifications . So my only concerns are the exhaust manifolds and the transmission mount... Are are BB TRANSMISSIONS car specific or Are they pretty much the same as far as mounting goes .Thanks guys

( my name being dustya_383 you would think I've done a bb swap before haha ) thanks for the help in advance

Schumaker headers and motor mounts - tranny OK - correct on oil pan - radiator - wiring if you EAt SLeeP and **** MOPAR as you say these are some pretty basic questions but it's best to ask if not sure before diving in your doing the right thing by doing you research first

Headers are nice but not required. You could use the factory hi perf exhaust manifolds, especially on the shorter 383.

Lookin to do it on the cheap side ... So stock exhaust manifolds will be fine .. Do I need some from a different application or will these work ?

Do NOT believe the guys who say you can just drop the motor in with Cordoba mounts and no mods to the k-member. The engine will be in the wrong place (too far forward). Spend some time in the tech pages at www.bigblockdart.com including the following:

http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/dck.shtml

And these videos:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnaM_jHLi08&feature=share&list=UUqvjc-8llEE-JKNFYw30-NQ&index=6"]DC K-member 04 part one a.mp4 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G594IRGPtAw&feature=share&list=UUqvjc-8llEE-JKNFYw30-NQ&index=5"]DC K-member 04 part two.mp4 - YouTube[/ame]

I guess it won't just bolt in. we must have been dreaming in the late 70's, my dad was wrong, it wasn't right, it didn't work. lol my brother replaced a 318 with a 440 in a mid 70s duster, oh yea he also had manifolds for exhaust. I won't bore you with the details of my 67 fastback 383 swap, still have it still works. bottom line some things just work, ya just need to play with the parts.

Definitely do the Schumacher mounts and headers. I just installed 383 and trans together on the K frame then put the body down on it. Never had a motor go in so easy.

Attachments

• IMAG0363.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 230
  • IMAG0364.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 212
I guess it won't just bolt in. we must have been dreaming in the late 70's, my dad was wrong, it wasn't right, it didn't work. lol my brother replaced a 318 with a 440 in a mid 70s duster, oh yea he also had manifolds for exhaust. I won't bore you with the details of my 67 fastback 383 swap, still have it still works. bottom line some things just work, ya just need to play with the parts.

No, it won't "just bolt in" without some mods. IF you drop the motor on the stock 73-76 spool mount V8 k-member without moving the saddles you WILL modify the trans mount and you will lose what precious little fan clearance you have (a lot of guys "solve" this with moving the radiator to the other side of the radiator support).

Post your details WITH pics. I have posted mine. Bottom line is that IF what you claim is true Chrysler would have never built the Direct Connection k-member (to use the factory mounts - there is only ONE type (pair) of passenger car spool mounts for a big block) and Schumacher would never sell conversion mounts (that require you to modify the spool mount saddle on the driver side).

-
Back