383 throttle linkage help

-

OldSoul_02

Reaction score
The throttle linkage on my 69 barracuda has some interesting things going on with it from the previous owner (Yes, that is a bike chain link on the end of the throttle cable). Does anyone have a picture of what the linkages are supposed to look like on a 383 or advice on what I’m missing? The throttle cable seems too short to use the correct hole on the carb. I have attached a picture of the setup. The carb is an Edelbrock 1405.

IMG_1406.jpeg

Here is a pic of my restored 69 GTS 383 4-speed, everything is 100% correct including the 4615S Carter carb. Your carb has the generic linkage on it so it probably will not be close to the factory location.

101_1411.JPG

Part of your problem is that carb was not a Mopar. You also may have the wrong cable bracket (can't see it in picture).

When using a Edelbrock AFB the proper adapter for Mopar linkage is needed.
I don't have the part # off the top of my head but is easy to find at Jegs or Summit.
This photo shows a adjustable throttle cable bracket along with the carb adapter. And another with kick down.
Disregard the kick down cable (Automatic trans) Just the proper adapter will solve most of your problems.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002a.jpg

Wrong carb, get the mopar adapter bracket for the AFB and it will be better.

that cable pulling sideways is a big fail.

I see you don’t have throttle pressure linkage for an automatic trans, correct?
So a manual trans or a manual valve body?

why 2 return springs?

Wrong carb, get the mopar adapter bracket for the AFB and it will be better.

that cable pulling sideways is a big fail.

I see you don’t have throttle pressure linkage for an automatic trans, correct?
So a manual trans or a manual valve body?

why 2 return springs?
I just recently bought the car, so I’m going though it and ironing out the weird things like this. I was very confused when I saw how the throttle linkage is set up because the of two springs.

When using a Edelbrock AFB the proper adapter for Mopar linkage is needed.
I don't have the part # off the top of my head but is easy to find at Jegs or Summit.
This photo shows a adjustable throttle cable bracket along with the carb adapter. And another with kick down.
Disregard the kick down cable (Automatic trans) Just the proper adapter will solve most of your problems.

View attachment 1716099877

View attachment 1716099880
Thanks for the great pictures! I notice I am also missing the attachment bracket for the spring. Seems like if I get the bracket and mopar adapter that should fix the problems.

-
Back