383 vs 440 help

-

Dusty-b

Reaction score
Alright guys here's my problem... my 1970 duster had a 360 until I blew it up.... I've saved up enough money for a new engine I just don't know what route I want to go... I can get a 383 stroker or a 440 pretty easy... this car is my daily driver and I'm in southern California right now. What do you guys think would be my best option... I'm not too worried about money but Im not trying to dump too mu ch into this either

I like the 383. The short stroke is great for a street car. Also, the engine has much more room for exhaust since it is shorter and more narrow.

Make life even eazyier,452 stroker,a B motor 400 with the 440 crank,and more cubes than a 440,tons of torque,and a smaller package,can,t beat that,mrmopartech

How about a 400 block stroker? 400s are fairly cheap and plentiful. There are some good strong blocks out there and you could build a 512. You would still have the benefits that Rusty noted about being shorter and narrower too.

I can attest to the 440 being tight!

Attachments

• 20140606_150932.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 396
B wedge is all you need for the street.

I vote for HEMI but 383 / 451 / 440 are all good but there is no replacement for displacement.

Attachments

• Picture 008.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 357
  • Picture 010.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 365
  • Picture 011.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 332
For a daily street driver if you go BB, then try to lighten it, alum heads, water pump and w/pump housing and manifold. You will be glad you did for handling reasons!!

Being a daily driver, stroke a 383/400 to whatever is cheapest in the 470/500 range. Keep it mild in the cam & compression area with a good exhaust & a dual plane intake. You'll be shocked at how a mild stroker can light up a A body car with mild gearing. Good luck.....Sounds like a lot of fun. :thumleft:

For a daily driver are you worried about MPG at all? If so I would just build a straight forward 383 around 9.5 to 1 alum heads if you got the $$ smallish can 220 to 226 @.050 cam and a smaller carb around 650 cfm. If you don't car about mileage the sky's the limit!!

Hey everyone thanks for your input.... I'm goin with the 440. Should have some pics to show off in the next few months for yall!

Hey everyone thanks for your input.... I'm goin with the 440. Should have some pics to show off in the next few months for yall!

You must like skinned knuckles... LOL! :sad2:

Good luck. :smile:

If you go 440, get ready for some VERY limited and VERY expensive exhaust options.

When you posed your question you only offered 2 choices. Either a 383 stroker or a 440. Everyone that gave advice to avoid the 440 did so because you said the car was your daily driver.

If you are set on switching to a big block I hope that you are taking into consideration the extra expenses that you will encounter and the compromise in handling you will have over keeping the small block. If you consider how much power that can be made with a decent small block build, you should have realized that you can easily surpass 500 horses. - And you can do it without adding weight to the front of your car. More than likely you'd have better handling and possibly better fuel economy.

It's your car and you can do with it as you please, but the advice given is based on the small amount of information that you've provided. Personally I love the sound of a big block. I've got a 440 in my '72 Duster. - But it's not a street car and if I had built an engine for it for street use, I would have chosen a small block.

But your reasoning may be based on some unnamed criteria. - Maybe you love the sound of a big block too. - Or maybe you want to have bragging rights after stuffing a 440 into it. Not every decision I make is the most practical. - And some choices I've made were for reasons that might sound stupid to others. But in the end we will all applaud the end results after your car is done (unless it turns into something hideous LOL).

For outright power, I like the 440.

I have a 69' 440 'Cuda.

TTi makes a great set of headers, but 'OUCH' in the wallet.

But for a Daily Driver, the 383 Stroker may be the best route.

I have a mild built 440 in my Duster and a pretty stock 360 in the Dart Sport. If I was to choose between them for a daily driver, I would go with the 360. For anything other than a daily driver I would choose the 440 or a 383. big difference in gas mileage. As far as handling goes with the weight of a BB, we put a Hellwig sway bar in the Duster and made the world of difference with handling. Before that it was all over the road with the extra weight up there.

The myth that the A body cannot handle with a big block is just that. A myth. Don't even let that affect your decision. A properly built car will handle just fine. We have a member here somewhere that road races an A body with a big block. and WINS.

-
Back