3D printing

-

oem6pak

pure stock forever
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a company that could 3D print a car part? Plastic interior piece without draining the bank

Can wrap whatever part you are trying to replace with wax paper.

Then you can cast a new part off of that by laying up fiberglass and resin over it.

3 layers is a good start. You can sand and body work it out to a nice finish ready for paint or fabric covering.

The wax paper acts as the mold release so you can get it apart.

Won't break the bank.

☆☆☆☆☆

That would depend on if you have the CAD file for the part or not. If you do, printing shouldn't be too expensive. If you need someone to design it, there will be some good money involved.

Lots of factors. Here are a few.

• Do you have the original part? if you do, it can be scanned which "could" eliminate the need for cad, though some cad work will probably be required. it also might be the case the part is simple to draw up. Car parts weren't drawn using computers, rather basic drafting techniques so it's likely not that hard to draw up.
  • Does it need to withstand heat? The material makes a difference since most 3d printing is done with melted plastic, it doesn't take much time in a hot car to weaken/warp them. Resin might be the way to go but I don't have practical experience with that.
  • How strong/flexible/ridged does it need to be? Again, material/method choices matter.
if you have the part and it's not huge, you can "fix it" using body filler or whatever and make your own silicone mold. Lots of videos of how to do that online.

Thanks guys I’m gonna try the place Car Nut recommended,it’s just a plastic dash piece (heater delete) for my 69 Dart thx again everyone

If you can get me an OEM one to copy or the dimensions of what you are looking for if custom I can create it.

-
Back