3G Hemi vs LSx vs Ford Mod Motor - which is the 'best'? And which to put in mopar?

-

Uhcoog1

Reaction score
The LSx valiant build thread was full of bickering, so I'm starting a new thread so that everyone can voice their opinions without dirtying up LS1Ace's thread.

Two main points of discussion:

1- In your opinion, which motor is superior? and why? or, what motor is best for what application? Between the 3G Hemi, LSx, and Ford Mod Motor?

2- In your opinion, is it okay to put a non-mopar motor in a mopar, or to put a mopar motor in a non-mopar?

Also, if LS1Ace's build isn't your favorite, voice your opinion in this thread, not in his build thread. Let's keep his build thread focused on the build.

I used to be a purist.... Now not so much. I say go for the best bang for the buck. Good luck!

The LSx valiant build thread was full of bickering, so I'm starting a new thread so that everyone can voice their opinions without dirtying up LS1Ace's thread.

Two main points of discussion:

1- In your opinion, which motor is superior? and why? or, what motor is best for what application? Between the 3G Hemi, LSx, and Ford Mod Motor?

2- In your opinion, is it okay to put a non-mopar motor in a mopar, or to put a mopar motor in a non-mopar?

Also, if LS1Ace's build isn't your favorite, voice your opinion in this thread, not in his build thread. Let's keep his build thread focused on the build.

Best bang for the buck = LSx.

Best output if money's no object = Ford Dohc.

Best ?? = 3G hemi.

I'm no purist, but I totally dislike it when someone puts a brand x motor in a brand y car. If you're gonna build a car around a hemi, find a Mopar to put it in. If you're going with a Ford engine, stick with a ford body.

The opinion of this post is my own; and does not necessarily represent the FABO forum majority. :)

Nice undertaking... good luck with that.

For years I've read jackasses on both sides of the aisle pissing in each other's Wheaties over this car.

Hey, here's an idea: quite getting your panties in a bunch over a car that ain't yours, using money you ain't earned, and matters not a hill of beans in the grand scheme of things. That goes for the naysayers and the well-wishers both.

Go hug your wife. Go play with your kids. Call your parents. Focus on the things that matter. And get the f*** over yourselves.

I say whatever floats your boat. Back in the day I had a Small block Chevy ready to put in my 69 Dart but the car got totaled before I could. Cost was the reason.

I have had them all and hands down the Ford coyote, revs fast and high and can pull 30mpg on the highway.
LS and Hemi seem to have similar performance but the Hemi always seems to use way more fuel.

I personally don't care. I wanted to say in the other thread, do what ever you want to your own car. I don't give a damn if a ls chevy can make 2000 rwhp and get 60 MPG for $500 I aint putting one in my car. Also some dudes like to bang other dudes too, it aint for me, but do what you want I guess

Wasn't going to weigh in on this but will. I would not put a brand x motor in a brand y car, but that's just me! I know I can build a SBC cheaper than a Mopar but I don't care! I personally get tired of going to the car shows and seeing all the rodders with their SBC in hot rods of every make and variety. To me, that's taking the easy way out!

I do have access to a 49 Ford pickmeup that I just might stuff a 44o into just to make the Ford guys cringe! Why? Because I can!

this is a mopar A-body forum, so my answer is the hemi. I think most of the members of FABO are purists, pure mopar engine power.
brand X in a mopar, lmao

this is a mopar A-body forum, so my answer is the hemi. I think most of the members of FABO are purists, pure mopar engine power.
brand X in a mopar, lmao

But this has nothing to do with anyones personal preference. You're more than welcome to fill your mopar with a mercedes/fiat engine and call it mopar. And while its fine if you and a majority want to be purists, there is nothing within the rules that state that every build has to be of a purist nature. So maybe purists should avert their eyes to builds they won't agree with? Lest this forum become like an early volvo forum where a vendor supplying LS swap parts would receive death threats for his effort to keep the cool/funky volvo's on the road.

The initial argument was "which engine is the best for a street/strip setup". In this case, the ford/chevy crush the dodge in every aspect. And myself and others have provided many links to demonstrate how a stock internals/stock heads LS/coyote is superior to the Hemi and at a much lower cost. If a high mileage 5.7 hemi didn't run you $1500+, make 280-300rwhp N/A, not handle boost well in stock form, and weigh as much as the iron small block, you might have more of a case.

The only thing that keeps this argument alive is denial. Likely because the OP gets the sense that me saying this is somehow an insult to his build. And let me just say to that, the slant-6 is vastly inferior to virtually every engine we'd discuss. But I'm not knocking anyone for building up a slant. Build what makes you happy and let others do the same.

(pardon potential typos, had to run and i havent typed on a desktop in awhile)

well Mr Dust, you have your opinion, I have mine, seems fair to me.

LS would be the best bang for the buck like small block Chevys usually are.
Mod motor Ford hold the distinction (unless I'm mistaken) of being the quickest stock block engine in a doorslammer. 3G Hemi just isn't there yet.
Edit:
It's your car. Forget what everyone else says. Don't open the hood around other people if it will bother you what they say. This thread has me wanting to put a 440 in my F100. I have one ready to go and it would fit great.
Then I could put the Windsor in the Dart.

Here is my 496 big block Chevy in my 71 Duster

Attachments

• 574.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 528
My only issue from the other thread was magnumdust's statement that the LSx is superior to the 3G Hemi. Sure, there are some things it is better at, and others it is not.

*the following is limited to LSx vs Hemi
Forced induction, stock long block:
Up to 6-8 psi: it's a wash, LSx prob cheaper
Above 10 psi: LSx for the win

Forced induction, built short block:
It's a wash. although LSx stock coils will maintain spark longer than Hemi stock coils.

NA build, stock short block:
LSx is probably cheaper
Hemi has head advantage

NA build, forged short block:
Price is a wash, Hemi has head advantage

Also:
It's cheaper to put a Hemi in a Mopar body vs either of the other two. If you fabricate your own swap parts, or you find 'bolt in' shelf parts, that makes this a moot point.
It's even cheaper still to put a LSx into a Chevy musclecar

My final thoughts:
Motors are 'made' great with great heads
Ford 4 valve has best head
Hemi is second, best 2 valve head
LSx is behind Hemi head

LSx has cheaper aftermarket, better support, and spelled out combinations that make great power. They probably hold every advantage over the Hemi except the head, but that is the most important part of a motor.

I like all three motors, all for their own reasons. I'd like to own one of each.

It's all in what you like. Just build what you want and don't bash other people for doing the same.

My only issue from the other thread was magnumdust's statement that the LSx is superior to the 3G Hemi. Sure, there are some things it is better at, and others it is not.

*the following is limited to LSx vs Hemi
Forced induction, stock long block:
Up to 6-8 psi: it's a wash, LSx prob cheaper
Above 10 psi: LSx for the win

Forced induction, built short block:
It's a wash. although LSx stock coils will maintain spark longer than Hemi stock coils.

NA build, stock short block:
LSx is probably cheaper
Hemi has head advantage

NA build, forged short block:
Price is a wash, Hemi has head advantage

Also:
It's cheaper to put a Hemi in a Mopar body vs either of the other two. If you fabricate your own swap parts, or you find 'bolt in' shelf parts, that makes this a moot point.
It's even cheaper still to put a LSx into a Chevy musclecar

My final thoughts:
Motors are 'made' great with great heads
Ford 4 valve has best head
Hemi is second, best 2 valve head
LSx is behind Hemi head

LSx has cheaper aftermarket, better support, and spelled out combinations that make great power. They probably hold every advantage over the Hemi except the head, but that is the most important part of a motor.

I like all three motors, all for their own reasons. I'd like to own one of each.

well you'll just have to live with that problem of not accepting reality because you and every other purist who's tried to debate their futile stance has come up with nothing convincing.

Where you're at now is trying to argue that the hemi is not inferior, despite conceding everything other than the heads to the LS/coyote engine. which is a rather minimal difference. Obviously with the number of 600+rwhp builds, the heads aren't holding the LS/coyote back in any way. On top of this, say 800-1000 for a 5.3, leaving you enough to put on better heads(even though its unnecessary) and still be under the price of a 5.7 3G.

As for the cost of fitment, that's not a good argument either. The most costly aspect of that valiant are the headers and that oil pan. Otherwise its pretty straight forward. LS1's stuffed into miatas/240sx's are more complicated.

Is this your best argument for why you think the 3G hemi is not inferior?? Because this is laughable. The entire argument boils down to "the 3G hemi is equal because once you replace everything(except the heads)...." As though there are not aftermarket heads to outflow the hemi for each of the engines and wasn't the initial argument specific to street/strip cars and not unlimited budget builds?

So thank you for proving my point.

My only issue from the other thread was magnumdust's statement that the LSx is superior to the 3G Hemi. Sure, there are some things it is better at, and others it is not. *the following is limited to LSx vs Hemi Forced induction, stock long block: Up to 6-8 psi: it's a wash, LSx prob cheaper Above 10 psi: LSx for the win Forced induction, built short block: It's a wash. although LSx stock coils will maintain spark longer than Hemi stock coils. NA build, stock short block: LSx is probably cheaper Hemi has head advantage NA build, forged short block: Price is a wash, Hemi has head advantage Also: It's cheaper to put a Hemi in a Mopar body vs either of the other two. If you fabricate your own swap parts, or you find 'bolt in' shelf parts, that makes this a moot point. It's even cheaper still to put a LSx into a Chevy musclecar My final thoughts: Motors are 'made' great with great heads Ford 4 valve has best head Hemi is second, best 2 valve head LSx is behind Hemi head LSx has cheaper aftermarket, better support, and spelled out combinations that make great power. They probably hold every advantage over the Hemi except the head, but that is the most important part of a motor. I like all three motors, all for their own reasons. I'd like to own one of each.
you may as well be arguing with a brick. I gave up with comparisons.

I'm a guy who like oddball stuff. I guess you could call me a hipster of old cars; however, I think the 350 or LS engine swap has been so overdone in anything and everything that I'm usually not a fan of it unless it's in a Chevy. For our mopars I generally like to see a mopar engine in it. However, I thought the Supra engine in the Scamp one of our members did was awesome. I've thought of stuffing my 273 in another car when I decide to pull it out.

I think everyone likes the Chevy stuff because it's cheap.

I'm a guy who like oddball stuff. I guess you could call me a hipster of old cars; however, I think the 350 or LS engine swap has been so overdone in anything and everything that I'm usually not a fan of it unless it's in a Chevy. For our mopars I generally like to see a mopar engine in it. However, I thought the Supra engine in the Scamp one of our members did was awesome. I've thought of stuffing my 273 in another car when I decide to pull it out.

I think everyone likes the Chevy stuff because it's cheap.

Except with mopars because as this thread and many other threads show, the purists lose their mind when someone chooses to step away from the mopar scrap heap and put in an engine that has evolved since 1965

if someone wants to put a p.o.s. LS motor in their car that's fine, they are the ones payin' for it and the ones who are gonna drive it (or park it at shows)

but for people to make blanket statements "the fords are quicker" is stupid. it depends on the build. i'll say it again, it depends on the build. and that depends on how much money you sink into it.

saying one is cheaper than the other is still a flawed statement. it depends on the build. what are you putting into it. what are you putting on top. it all costs money and you could just put a crate motor in OOTB or you could build one up from scratch with junkyard pieces. the machine shop work aint much different.
again it depends on the build. you could do a mopar crate for 5k or put 20k into a LSx motor . or you could buy a LSx crate or put 20k into a gen3 hemi.

all these blanket statements are bullshit.

that being said, some of us wont ever say that mopars aint the best.

if money was no object I'd throw a viper motor or 2gen hemi in my duster.
no way I'd put a 454 or 460. /gag

so take your chevy block and shove it somewhere lol. if we wanted chevy stuff we'd probably be on goodbuddynovas.com or whippedmustangs.com or somethin

-
Back