3rd Times a Charm, Low comp 440

-

1968 Valiant

Reaction score
Just tore down my 78 California Emissions low compression 440.
This is now the 3rd engine I have opened up hoping to find a little life left in her. These pics are the result.

Mains all came out at .002 with plasti gauge and the rods came out just a hair under that.
All the cylinders look great and there is almost no noticable ridge at the top. The whole assembly turns over nicely.

The pistons are .150 in the hole. The heads are 452's and look decent. I was told this engine has 8.2:1 compression but I have heard mixed opinions on that. After I get the heads cleaned up I am going to cc them so I acually know.

Everything just needs a major cleaning and new gaskets as far as I can tell.

I am not expecting this engine to be crazy or even last all that long. I just want a running 440 to be pushing me around while the dream 440 collects parts and machining.

The only thing I am considering doing to this is a mild cam. I am curious for thoughts about this and recomendations..???

I have obviously scrapped all the emisions spagetti and intake. I am now looking for a decent performance intake and carb that will work with this engine on pump gas and be VERY drivable year round.

Any advise is appeciated

68 Valiant

Attachments

• 440 1.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 565
  • 440 2.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 568
  • 440 3.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 585
  • 440 head 4.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 561
  • 440 5.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 574
I have a couple of those too......I have a funny feeling that the "true compression ratio" of those 440 may be a little more depressing than 8.2 to 1. I guess it's RV cam time.....or whatever it takes to get the compression boosted.

I would just re ring and gasket it, with a good clean up and put a 440 magnum type cam in it. Nothing fancy.
I bet you will have a lot of fun with it, and it will help you sort out the car while you build the "bullet" for it.
Sounds like a great core. So it's low compression, it still will perform if it's fresh and has a reasonable cam in it.
Keep it simple.
Good luck,
Tom.

yeah, with a composition style .038"compressed Head gasket, it probably IS down in the High 7's to 1 range for compression ?

No matter,
try a good 'Ol CompCams 268H cam ?
Seen a few low-pop 440's actually do OK with it.
Advanced 2 * is best.
Steel Shim head gaskets if ya can get them ?

BTW, NICE CORE !

.......I would get the crank offset ground .060.............will gain over 1 comp point and 13 cubes.............i've did a few this way..........u wont regret it......kim.....

Wow........this is weird.

I just took a 76 440 out of my car that had some issues.

Working on a wood floored shop, I took a greasy runner of a 75 440 and checked it out. Painted it, and put it in. It has a magnum cam........

Deja Vu.

I am going to get the car on the road here in the next month or so.

I did drive it this summer once or twice and it is worth it.

My thinking is that I can run the "mellow engine" for awhile and sort the rest of the car out......

Good luck to you.

ROB

That is similar to what I'm putting in my car. I'm using a 284 cam just because I had it. I would go smaller if I was buying something. 440's have torque to spare in a street car, especially an Abody.
Lap the valves, and give it a timing chain, oil pump, cam lifter spring set. Watch out for lifter preload and valvespring installed hight. Run it.

The pistons are .150 in the hole. The heads are 452's and look decent. I was told this engine has 8.2:1 compression but I have heard mixed opinions on that. After I get the heads cleaned up I am going to cc them so I acually know.

68 Valiant

Depending on whether the heads are 90 cc or 92 cc the compression ratio is either 7.8 or 7.7 .

Yeah they generally blueprint out about 7.6:1. Pretty dismal.....but great for a turbo or blower.

My starter car for my twins.
74 Duster.
76 low comp engine re ringed.
Pistons down in the hole .160.
Steel head gaskets.
Mopar .528 solid cam
Performer RPM intake.
780 Holley.
Schumacher headers.
Well built steel heads.
Well built trans and NOS converter.
3.91 8 1/4 rear end.

Car ran a best of 12.21 off the juice and 11.59 with 100 hp of juice.

This car is what everyone has to begin running before they step up to the faster cars.
The one my sponsors prefer to drive.
Great street manners.
Adjust the valves once a year for performance.
Adjust the valves monthly for teaching the kids.
This engine you turn the key and go.
For a street car I might not even go for more comp.

IMGP1283.jpg

IMGP0512.jpg

IMGP0501.jpg

A friend of mine has a 64 or 65 ply. with a low comp. 440. Good size cam/intake/carb/headers. It runs low 13's with traction issues and not sorted out yet. We were always led to believe that low comp. big cam doesn't work????

-
Back