3spd to 4spd?!

-

vntned

Reaction score
So I basically need a parts list of what I need to put my A833-OD in my '64 Dart 170. My Dart is still rocking it's factory equipped 3spd on the column.

I've got the trans already, a '76 aluminum box, with the levers rods and shifter assembly, I also have a aluminum slant 4spd bell. I'm needing the covers and fork assembly and am not sure if the rock Z-bar will work.

Which fork do I need?
Will the clutch assembly and TOB from the three speed still work?
Is there anything else I need?

PS: I know I have to get a new driveshaft. I also added a 8.25" rear end which has a longer about than the stock 7.25". Is there a factory driveshaft I could use instead of having one made?

I just changed the yoke on mine, going from a factor floor shift 3 speed to A833 4 speed

I think both transmissions are 23 spline input, and if both bellhousings are for the same size flywheel clutches are the same. bellhousings usually have dual trans. bolt patterns. measure the diameter of the opening in the front of the bell, probably 4.3" or 4.8" , and the diameter of the OD trans. front bearing retainer is probably 5.1" The larger 5.1" can be turned down to 4.8" . the 3 speed and the 4 speed OD both use the same 26/27 spline output/yoke. I think both trans are the same length, and the same length as 904/727, so an A body/8.25 driveshaft fits.

If your trans case has a 4.160" bolt circle (not the diameter of the bearing retainer flange, but the actual center to center cross bolt measurement), you are golden and can use the 4.807" or 5.125" bellhousing and bearing retainer.

If your trans case has a smaller bolt circle and uses the 4.354" bearing retainer and bellhousing, you will need an adapter ring that increases the flange diameter to fit the O/D bell, because the smaller bolt circle is not available with a 4.807" or 5.125" bearing retainer flange.

The answer is to determine what you've got before proceeding. The clutch, bell and linkages should work, if you've got the bell with both trans case bolt patterns in it.

Your clutch should work, but you might reconsider the rear axle ratio and accompanied speedo gear, depending on what you want out of your car. a 2.something rear ratio might land you 60mph before you even get into 4th.

the 8.25, and 8.75 diffs have very similar driveshaft requirements, so a shaft from a similar wheelbase car with a non-727 trans and either rear should work. 67 to 72 Plymouth As were 108wb, and Darts were 111wb, from 67 to the end. Your early Dart...I forget.

-
Back