4.56 gears 4-speed?

-

dartkid68

Reaction score
i know its probably been asked but i have a 340 and i have been debating if i want to do a 4-speed swap i have a 4.56 gear is this going to be horrible to drive?

umm long as you don't mind driving 30 everywhere you go! 3.55 is about the highest I would go!

Not something I would want if very much of my time was spent at 55 mph or more but really, your final drive with both a 4 speed and an automatic is 1 to 1 so it should be the same as what you have now.

What size tires are you running?
yes, it is to much gear for the street and unless you are setting up a race car I would not go 456. I ran 430s on the street for a few years and that was to much gear in my opinion. I run a 4 speed also and would consider 410s to be the biggest gear I would go.

yes, it is to much gear for the street and unless you are setting up a race car I would not go 456. I ran 430s on the street for a few years and that was to much gear in my opinion. I run a 4 speed also and would consider 410s to be the biggest gear I would go.

even with 4.10s the highway would be brutal

gear don't mean anything to the rpm. The height of the tire is the deciding factor.
If you are gonna run 4.56s and 31 inch tall tire then go ahead but if not don't run that gear

gear don't mean anything to the rpm. The height of the tire is the deciding factor.
If you are gonna run 4.56s and 31 inch tall tire then go ahead but if not don't run that gear

gear has alot to do with it if your wheel well will not hold a 31" I don't think any stock ones would, I would think it would rub like crazy

gear has alot to do with it if your wheel well will not hold a 31" I don't think any stock ones would, I would think it would rub like crazy

What Im saying is decide on the size tire you are gonna run then pick a gear that puts the rpms you are comfortable with at lets say 60 or 65 MPH so it can go on the highway with out killing you while driving

If im seeing the correctly you are currently running a 456 gear with an auto trans ? If this is the case then the 4 speed will be better because 4 gear will be a true 1 to 1 ratio, your auto trans torque convertor never sees true lock up so the the cruising rpm will be higher with an auto trans . If you do use it alot on the highway , 456 is a big gear , but for local cruising its fine , I run a 430 with a 28 inch tire and turn 3200 rpm at highway speed .

WAY too deep unless it's a dedicated drag car. My Dakota has 3.90's and even THAT is brutal without OD. (60 is 3100RPM!)

It really depends on what your going for I`m building a drag car I can drive on the street so a 30" tire and 4.56s are ok but if your looking for a street car to drive on the strip then don`t run 4.56s.

If it's an 8 3/4, keep that gear for weekends at the track. After racing, you can easily swap in a highway gear for driving during the week. That is what I used to do. I'd drive a 3.23 during the week and pop in my 4.56 to drive to the track.

I think it would be a blast to drive as long as you don't want to take any road trips!!

If it's an 8 3/4, keep that gear for weekends at the track. After racing, you can easily swap in a highway gear for driving during the week. That is what I used to do. I'd drive a 3.23 during the week and pop in my 4.56 to drive to the track.

That would be the way I would go. If you have 4.56 already the final drive would be the same. 4.56 gears are fun with the 4 Speed I miss that and will be keeping them with my auto. Not a daily driver though!!!

You can't get tires anywhere near that tall under a Dart without tubbing it or jacking it way off the ground. Mine were 225 x 75 x 15 before I put the 17's on but they did not change much. The 15s were 28.3 and come very close to the fronts of the fender cutouts, so there's not much room left.

So 4.56, with let's assume 28.5" tires would give you all of (there's about 5 gazillian of these on the www)

70 mph would be 3763

60 would be 3226

My car, before I tore it apart had 3.7X rear gear, so a 28.3" tire at 70mph was still 3100. You have to fudge a bit for the converter. The 17s were actually a bit smaller and added a bit more RPM, I think it ran closer to 3300 at 70

I would NOT want more RPM, and I don't go on what you would call "long trips"

-
Back