4.7 compared to 5.2

-

Coyote Jack

Member #55, I'm old
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I can pick up a 4.7L that has some issues with water getting into the crankcase due to a blown head gasket for free. What are the differences between a 2002 4.7 and a 1998 5.2?

The engine still runs with good oil pressure but has a nasty ticking coming from one of the tappets.

Jack

If I remember correctly the 4.7 makes 5hp more then the 5.2 but 10ft/lbs of torque less.

They are pretty comparable. I have a 5.2 in my 98 Dakota club cab 4x4 and raced my brothers quad cab 2001 4x4 and I could pull him slightly but he is heavier.

No engine issues with either truck he had to have a new transmission due to some screws that hold a plate on the sid eof the valve body and retains the solenoids in backing out but otherwise all good.

He gets a few more mpg then I do. I do like the way his new tranny shifts then my older one. Makes the truck seem much quicker and snappier.

Yeah, Demonator is right, they're totally different motors. I have a 5.2 in my Dakota and a friend of mine has a 4.7. They're both good engines, although my 5.2 is quite a bit faster than his 4.7. Granted, his truck is a 4WD, and my truck is a 2WD, his is an automatic, mine is a 5-speed, and he has a lot more weight to push around, etc.

4.7 is an overhead cam motor, 5.2 is over head valve. i believe that the blocks are different so you cant switch heads or really much at all if i remember right. Ive got a 4.7 in my 2000 durango automatic, 120k miles and still runs like new. i raced a 98 ram 1500 318 5 speed. He couldnt keep up, but then hes got a little more weight, not that a durango is a whole lot lighter. both dependable motors, get about the same mpg

I guess that answers my question. I was hoping to get the engine and use it as a core or parts engine if something happened to my 5.2. No such luck.

Jack

The heads on the 4.7 are very close to hemi shaped. It is good little motor and if it was cheap enough and you had the room it might be worth getting just to have. You never know what the future might hold.

Chuck

4.7 has the same bellhousing pattern as a 318, so it will physically bolt to your transmission. For free, it might be worth having around as an eventual replacement. My $.02.

Actully I think the bell houseing is even different the 4.7 shares that in common with the new hemi, I know this as a guy on my dakota web board swapped a 5.7 hemi in place of his 4,7 in a dakota the truck looks insane.

I would think parts would be way more readily available for the 5.2 ??? Just something else to consider...

I was only thinking about this because it was free and I new the history on it. Because the 2 engines are not similar, I am going to pass on it. It would be much cheaper to fix my 318 even if I ruined the block as I have a 318 sitting in my garage.

Jack

If it was free I would have to get it and use as a door stop if nothing else...

I can pick up a 4.7L that has some issues with water getting into the crankcase due to a blown head gasket for free. What are the differences between a 2002 4.7 and a 1998 5.2?

The engine still runs with good oil pressure but has a nasty ticking coming from one of the tappets.

Jack

personally, I would stay away from the 4.7L. These engines have known problems, especially if it is of the 2000 vintage. they are sludge factories, I had nothing but problems with mine... leading to the need to rebuild the bottom end after only 80,000 miles. I got rid of the truck. I maintained the engine well, used only mobile 1 after breakin.

-j

I'd turn it into a coffee table! Best one this side of the Mississippi.

Doesn't the new HEMI have the same bell housing bolt pattern as the older "LA" series? I thought it did?

I think the new hemi bell houseing is different theres a whole new breed of tranny behind the hemi and the 4.7

well i'd be against it personally we have 2 grand cherokee's in the shop right now with 4.7's one has a craked head and the other has a spun main bearing so I dont see any good in them over the 5.2l

I'd turn it into a coffee table! Best one this side of the Mississippi.

Amen to that.

EngineTable.jpg

Our family's machinist won't even rebuild the 4.7; it seems to be cheaper to order a crate motor. In fact, Joe hates that particular motor as much as he hates FoMoCo's 4.6L and he is usually quite the fan of Ford and Mopar.

I had a reg. cab dakota 4.7l 5 speed 3.55 gear. great truck, no issues with the motor at all, also put mobil 1 in it after break in. good motor. I like the small block wedge but stock to stock even the r/t dak with the 360 could not hang with me. Being a 287 cube motor it winds great but runs outta breath top end. I have heard others complain about it though. 318 or 360 would be better for an HI-PO build and easier, or for a torquey tow engine, still that was a fun little truck.

LA/magnum trannies and bell housings bolt up to the new 5.7/6.1 hemi's. I was always lead to believe the 3.7/4.7 has a unique bolt pattern.

-
Back