4.7 H.o.

-

ERACER

Reaction score
My boss has a Jeep Grand Cherokee (probably a mid 2000's?) with a 4.7 H.O. This thing seems to have some decent power and I got to wondering why I haven't seen very many of these swapped into older vehicles. Now obviously the Magnum engines virtually dropped in place of the LA engines, save for a few bolt on parts. The new Hemi also has numerous parts available for swaps and even bolts up to a small block tranny. Is the 4.7 just not as popular or not well supported by the after-market? Or are there some of these swaps out there that I haven't seen?

You know I've been wondering the same thing . My wife drives a 2006 jeep grand cherokee limited with the 4.7 in it , and it hauls a__ !! I know I wouldn't have a problem in the world with having one in my demon , but I haven't seen any after market suppliers offer anything for it . I don't know why . From what I've read its smaller cu in than a 318 but makes more hp and gets better fuel mileage . so what gives ?

I was thinking about doing the same thing in my old Ram Charger. What stopped me, besides CLF Disease (Chronic Lack of Funds), was the fact that you can get a used 5.7 Hemi for only a few dollars more. Did not make sense to spend the money and time needed to make a 4.7 fit when other people have designed all of the stuff to make swapping a 5.7 Hemi easier.

Yeah, this is pretty much the reasoning I came up with. It does make more sense to go with the Hemi if the cost is only a bit more and the parts are readily available. It just seemed this would be a nice motor for a driver/cruiser, especially in an A-body, with maybe a keisler 5 speed behind it. Just a little "bench building" I guess.

-
Back