4.7 V8 engine durability questions?

-

dusterdood

The Duster Guy
Reaction score
I can get a good deal on a 2000 Dakota with 78K miles and the 4.7 V8. Don't know anything about these. They were phased out after a few years for the new style Hemi. Anyone know about the durability of these? Upsides/downsides?
Mike

They were not phased out. They are still used in Dakotas and trucks.
My dad has a 2000 Dakota 4.7 with almost 200K. He maintains it extremely well and it runs like a new motor. Never had a valve cover off.

I didn't know these were still available. That's good news about them lasting so long. Any issues with the trans? Or anything really?

Seem to be a decent engine, they get better mileage than the magnum 318-360's. They are expensive for parts to work on , just did a headgasket replacement on a 4.7 in a ram, tensioners and guides for the overhead cams (secondary chains) can get sloppy around 100k miles and are pricey,

other then the loose chains I haven't seen any common problems...most of the time they just get alittle noisey

They have the import tick sound, drives me nuts, but they seem to hold up as good as a triton, or any other OHC V8.

I disagree on the 318 MPG though, maybe in a dakota, but not in a full size ram

These are not bad engines but because Chrysler designed them to run higher cylinder head temps (for emissions purposes) they must have the oil changed faithfully or they will sludge up and eventually destroy the engine. It's best to run a synthetic like Mobil 1 in it and change it often. Also you never want to overheat one of these engines. It will most likely be garbage if you don't shut it off and fix it.

I wouldn't buy a used one without being able to pull a valve cover off to see if there is sludge in it.

My dad has a 2002 Dakota Quad Cab, 4.7 & 5 speed stick, 2wd. He's hauled my Demon a time or two. The mileage is getting up there but it still runs great, has lots of power and the way he drives it, the fuel mileage is very good.

Wylde1.

SSPX0129.jpg

SSPX0130.jpg

SSPX0131.jpg

SSPX0132.jpg

SSPX0133.jpg

I have one in a 02 Dak and love it. Rarely gets less than 17 mpg even when I'm hammering it and if I take it easy gets 20+ down the hwy. Runs real strong too. I also have a buddy that had a 2000 with the 4.7 and it had almost 200,000 miles on it when he traded it in and it still ran great and never had anything done to it. He was good about keeping the oil changed which I'm sure helped.

We have almost 100K on our Durango with one of these, never had a mechanical problem, still running great. Torquey little sucker and nice cruiser. (I wish the brakes held up better, my boy travels between the Bay Area and Santa Cruz in it.)

Durability seems decent on these but it was a great suggestion to check for sludge. My experience was that the mileage was the same or worse than a 360 and performance wasn't even close. I never understood why they made the 4.7L, it's not bad but its no better than a 5.2L.

99 Grand Cherokee i got this summer,hate the Jeep,like the motor.125,000 miles runs great.

Durability seems decent on these but it was a great suggestion to check for sludge. My experience was that the mileage was the same or worse than a 360 and performance wasn't even close. I never understood why they made the 4.7L, it's not bad but its no better than a 5.2L.

I guess they made it to keep up with everyone else and needed an OHC motor. My only complaint is the gas mileage, but it is a truck.

We have a 2007 Durango with this engine and it has 34,000 trouble free miles so far...knock on wood! It also has plenty of power to boot, eventually would like to get a hitch and do some trailer pulling.

MY cousin has one in his Durango and a cold air and exhaust. The thing moves

I have a 04 Dodge Ram 4 door 1500 with a 4.7. It has the tow package with a 390 rear gear. I pulled my daughters Sebring on my open trailor on the turnpike and still got 17 mpg.
The engines do have a tendency to sluge up, but regular oil changes and change out the pcv valve yearly will keep it at a minium.

When I went to see my mom last month they upgraded me to a new Dodge Ram 4.7 4 door. I wasn't towing anything but the digital readout said I was averaging 21 mpg on the highway at 65. OK power down low but nothing like the 360 I built for my Ramcharger. The RC would run circles around it at low and mid rpm. Once it gets up in the rev range it really does take off but the RC would still beat it. I wouldn't want to tow anything behind it much over 5,000 lbs. Not that it couldn't do it, it's just really likes high revs.

I also have a hard time with this "drive by wire" stuff. It just doesn't feel right to me. It was an awfully nice truck though with up and downshift buttons on the steering wheel, power everything, a comprehensive digital display, etc.

-
Back