4-cylinder barracuda

-

phf

Reaction score
i saw that 69 300 mph car, u know the rad rides barracuda with a midget 4 cylinder with a huge turbo, and thought to myself, what if i put the srt-4 motor into my 67? i know i'd have to fab up some engine mounts and pull a rwd bellhousing out of my ***, but overall i think a 650hp 2.4 litre could really increase the power to weight ratio and also help save gas. it's just an idea for now, but maybe some day.....what do you guys think?

Blowfish is bad!

blowfish1.jpg

There was a guy on big block dart that a guy had a 2.2 turbo 4 in a Valiant

Re: fiberglass body parts
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 12:15:24 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: Keith Mopar on January 10, 2007, 04:41:33 AM
Sorry this is off topic for this subject, but bb66cuda, I noticed in your sig that 1 of your Valiant's is powered by a 2.2 turbo? Any pics, this sounds interesting.

I don't have pics right now, I am still in the process of getting everything to work...but it's a 2.2 turbo II engine mated to a Toyota Supra Turbo 5 speed (R154). When I get some pics I can send them, it's about as far away from a big block swap as possible.

The 2.2/2.5 turbo might be easier. Those engines came in Dakota pick-ups so there are bell housings and mounts for a RWD configuration. Plus the EFI is simpler and would be easier to work with.

i have a 89 240sx it is rwd push 140 hp stock if you go with th s 15 engine out of the 240sx they are push around 240 hp but you can make them higher than that

I seen the car in Troy's shop as it was being built. He made the statement that is was modified but didn't think anyone would notice what all was done to the body. I told him as soon as I seen the car that the top was chopped and some other modes I had seen. Being a car 35 years old maybe he was right that most would not see them, my 1st car was a 67 Barracuda so stood out like a sore thumb to me.

I have thought about the turbo 4 in a light weight older car for some time. With the power and mileage out of the SRT 4 if it could be done should be a good combo. But the Dart~Barracuda would be at least 5~700 pounds more than the Neon

With gas getting close to $4 a gallon it might be a better option than going big block and 7~10 MPG if you plan on driving the car any.

Pictures were taken in 05 when I was on the Power tour, This is a side trip the group I was traveling in made to check out the cars and shop

1troy.jpg

2troy.jpg

i know i'd have to fab up some engine mounts and pull a rwd bellhousing out of my ***, but overall i think a 650hp 2.4 litre could really increase the power to weight ratio and also help save gas.

Your not going to save any fuel by installing a 650 hp 4 cyl. All your power is going to be way up top. Now if you went with a 250 to 300 hp turbo build and keep your foot out of it, you may get better mileage and it would be much more streetable. I don't think you'd want to let the clutch out at 5K just to pull away from a stoplight.

like i said before, this is merely an idea. ive done no research on this yet. all i know is that it's entirely possible to have a 650hp srt-4 motor that still runs on pump gas and is somewhat streetable. my good friend has an srt-4 that we're building a motor for right now and with the stock crank we expect to make around 500hp.

I know this is an old post....... I just found it and was goingto add that the late 80's Dakota with the 2.2L in them had a 5spd option and there is your bell housing and do a Hybrid 2.2/2.5 DOHC " K engine with Neon DOHC and external oil lines to and from the head, "water jackets line up" and thats an easy 550HP with a Turbo. Not to mention all Factory parts to get 550HP.

-
Back