• Rebuild the auto (904), sell the 4speed

Votes: 20 16.1%
  • Swap to the 4speed

Votes: 80 64.5%
  • rebuild the auto and keep the 4speed to have a choice

Votes: 24 19.4%

• Total voters
-
If it were my car and I was interested in a manual swap. I'd go with a 5 speed Dakota tranny

Other than a hydrolic clutch conversion, and a driveshaft, there should be no mod required that I'm aware of. And yes, 5th for cruising

Are you sure the Dakota 5spd will fit in the Valiant tunnel? My understanding was that most 5spd conversions for A-bodies required some work.

I met this guy at Spring Fling -- he has a lot of knowledge in that department: http://gerkoenterprises.com/

Anyway, if I was setting up my car from scratch, I would have a 4spd to go with the 273 Commando. That motor revs so sweet, it's a shame to not have any gears to play with. But I don't want to mess around with a real survivor.

For street performance and cruising comfort, I'd stick with the auto.

You may be right. Like I said. The hydro clutch and driveshaft were all that I was aware of or could remember I know putting a 727 in one requires swelling the tunnel

I have always wished I could put a converter between the crank and the flywheel.
You would still have a clutch pedal, but you could stop in gear or take off without using it.
You would however still use the clutch to shift, and to disengage or re engage the trans at RPM's.

Think about what that would mean about how you drive the car.

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/fluidrive.html

My understanding is that the Dakota 5 speed is marginal at best behind the V6, and would not last at all behind a healthy V8. Also, from what I understand in a 2nd gen A body (even more room than first gen) it requires major mods of the floor pan and trans tunnel. Also the shifter sprouts from the trans in the wrong location. - why not go to a factory 4 speed overdrive, or a keisler 5 speed?

-
Back