4" or 4.5"

-

danthedewman1

Reaction score
How do you measure what size bolt pattern you have?I have a 72 Dart that was originally a 6 banger.It came with a 7.25 rear and I found an A body 8.75 rear.The seller said it has 4.5" bolt pattern.Is that a big deal when you buy wheels and tires for the car.I like Cragar SS wheels or early Centerlines.Will those be a problem,, finding for both sizes of bolt patterns. I really want the 8.75" rear,,but dont want it to be a hassle later....Thanks... :scratch:

i have been told that a-body 8 3/4' were stopped in 72, making them all 4" bp
so the axles would have to be aftermarket or welded and drilled to be 4.5 bp
measure from center of stud to center of stud (skip one stud like you are drawing a star) that is the bp, you may want to measure width of perches and overall to confirm its a a-body 8 3/4"

My cars a 72 ,but i dont no the year of the 8.75" im thinking of buying for it.Does it matter,if say, its from a 70 A body,,,Will it work on my 72?Is it hard finding wheels for either bolt size?Were all 8.75's 4 inch bolt pattern?

Although your question is EZ to answer there's a few options you can do, but you must be careful and understand what those options are and what you can afford. Firstly, I would suggest you read a bit of this link below to give yourself a little knowlege on the rear ends before you run out and buy something you have to re-sale.
As stated...An "A"-body 5x4" 8.75 should fit under your car nicely. If someone has a 8.75 for sale with a large bolt (5x4.5") it could be out of a B or E body maybe being "too" wide for your car. Also as stated..some guys buy large bolt 5x4.5 then have to get them cut to size as a A-body. With a swap...you also have to change the driveshaft. A lot of guys just get a 8.25 out of a A-body.

PS Yes, it's harder to find "nice" wheels for the small 5x4" bolt.

http://www.autohobbydigest.com/a-rearend.html

I have a 8.75" rear from a 1971 Chrysler Town and Country Wagon.Its been in my back yeard for years.Definetly would have to be rebuilt.I dont no what it would fit on tho.I dont no if thats considerd a B body rear or C or ?.......

If I use a 8.25" rear out of an A body what years will work ?Will it bolt right up? Do i have to move the spring perches in or out for it to bolt up?Thanks..

I believe the way to measure the bolt circle is to "hook" your tape over one stud, skip one stud and measure to the center of the next stud.

busted knuckles said:
I believe the way to measure the bolt circle is to "hook" your tape over one stud, skip one stud and measure to the center of the next stud.

You are correct, it is the far outside of one stud to the center of the other skipping one.

Chuck

-
Back