4 out of 5 stars and new cars still blow up on impact

-

dodge freak

Reaction score
Check this 2011 Ford Taurus that hit a tree out. I thought these new cars were so safe. Many just blow up on impact. Blame F.I. the fuel pressure is 45--55 lbs, when the fuel line cracks open, gas shoots out all over the place, one spark and kaboom.

Car didn't buckle the sheet metal and doors all open, so it wasn't no high speed impact, just your normal 40--45 mph crash.

Say what you wanna say about new car safety but those old Grand Fury's from the 1970's didn't blow up like this on impact. You had a chance to live some more.

http://www.hometownlife.com/article...atal-crash?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Frontpage

Just My opinion but I think the newer fuels tend vaporize easier too.Adding to their combustibility.Every time I go to fire up my Dart the carb is dry,the gas just evaporates.In the past it seems gas would just sit in the carb till it turned to varnish.My unscientific 2C.

Only reason traffic death rates have been decreasing from the 1970's, is these new cars do brake, steer better then those old Fury's AND most everybody wears their safety belts vs almost nobody in the 1970's

Plus medical care is better and traffic accidents get reported in seconds thanks to cell phones and there is more traffic lights and green turn arrows then in the 1970's.

In the old days, it was 10 mins before a pay phone call of an accident came in.

Only reason traffic death rates have been decreasing from the 1970's, is these new cars do brake, steer better then those old Fury's AND most everybody wears their safety belts vs almost nobody in the 1970's

Plus medical care is better and traffic accidents get reported in seconds thanks to cell phones and there is more traffic lights and green turn arrows then in the 1970's.

In the old days, it was 10 mins before a pay phone call of an accident came in.

Excellent points!

They run off gasoline. Nuff said.

The engine sitting in his lap have anything to do with his demise?

Check this 2011 Ford Taurus that hit a tree out. I thought these new cars were so safe. Many just blow up on impact. Blame F.I. the fuel pressure is 45--55 lbs, when the fuel line cracks open, gas shoots out all over the place, one spark and kaboom.

Car didn't buckle the sheet metal and doors all open, so it wasn't no high speed impact, just your normal 40--45 mph crash.

You better brush up on your accident scene investigations. The hood on the car shows that it was an offset accident with the majority of the impact focused on the drivers side front corner. This can be seen by the angle of the hood. The hood is in line with the initial impact. The leading edge of the hood has folded nearly up to the cowl of the vehicle. From the photo it's impossible to see whether or not the passenger compartment had been compromised. For all we know there could be a front tire in the drivers lap.

The article states that the impact made it impossible to exit the vehicle from the drivers side.

The fire which started "shortly after the crash" could have started from a short in the electrical system and may have not initially involved gasoline at all.

Wojan was trapped inside the vehicle due to the impact. The car caught fire shortly after the crash. Numerous attempts by witnesses to pull Wojan from the burning wreckage failed, police said.

I'll take the oldies for their class and style, but for safety in a daily driver, I'll take a new car or truck.

-
Back