4 piston calipers question

-
Back in the 90's I was daily driving my Demon. After a couple of years, I was doing caliper maintenance and found one stuck piston in each.

So a quick update on my caliper project.
I pulled just the drivers side and used the grease trick, and all 4 pistons came out pretty easily.
Tge good news is that the cylinder bores, and the pistons are in great condition. The rubber boots have some small tears and nicks so I will definitely need to replace those at a minimum.
I will need to pull the pass side next but if that caliper is in the same shape I think I will be in great shape to easily rebuild them.

A couple of questions I have are, what is the best way the fully clean the caliper sides of the grease that I used to pump the cylinders out, and secondly what wilould I need to do to the caliper bores and pistons in prep for the rebuild; do I need to hit them with some emery cloth or anything like that to ensure the surfaces are perfect?

that's excellent news, hopefully the other side is cake too.

i like to use solvent based cleaners with brake stuff and heavy grease. less flash rust and seems to cut the clean up time down a little more than the typical water based stuff.

emery cloth to be sure there's not nicks or burrs on the pistons, tiny wire wheel for the piston bores. be sure to lube on reassembly.

Make sure seal grooves are cleaned out so seal can seat all the way in otherwise it could get pinched torn when pushing pistons in during assembly.

An update on the front brake refresh. I have both calipers fully torn down and cleaned. The grease trick worked well to get the pistons out and things came apart fairly easily.
So the result is that I have a hint of pitting on 3 pistons, and 5 that are perfect, and the caliper bores look great so I will now be on the hunt for 3 pistons and 8 new rubber boots with rings and then I’m very comfortable that my front brakes should be good as new

The pistons are shown as the same part number as 1967 Mustangs. As @junkyardhero said the Mustang used more than one size, but the '67 crosses to fit all of our K-H calipers. If you trust the parts book, sooner or later you'll get bitten. So verify the fit. The pistons in the link should fit. Contact them and get the dimensions to be sure.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/disc-brake-caliper-piston-1967/p/BCP2/

'65-67 Mustangs use the same pistons and rebuild kits, sort of. There are early and late Mopar dust boots. Mustangs only used the early boots. There was a time when rebuild kits had four of each. Some kits these days only have the early boots (or at least last time I looked).

I bead blast calipers after they are cleaned of any fluids.

I’m slowly going through the mechanicals on my survivor 67 barracuda I bought from the original owner. The car had sat in a barn for 30 years or so.
I’ve gone through the rear brakes and I’m about to get into the front disc brakes.

Are there any tips or tricks on inspecting these calipers to make sure they are good? I know replacements are hard to find so I’m going to do my best to save the originals and get them working again.
I used the kelsey-hayes on my 66 dart pistons and seals & reman. calipers are all available from rock auto
Joe

I used the kelsey-hayes on my 66 dart pistons and seals & reman. calipers are all available from rock auto
Joe
the problem with this is that they're not always available. also, when buying remans it's always a roll of the dice: they (the supplier, rebuilders and sellers) don't understand the granular details of: front mount vs rear mount and left side/right side, 64~66 vs 67~72. so it's entirely a crap shoot as to what you might get in the box when it shows up.

there's also the doubts concerning the veracity of the rebuild itself. they're in the business of pushing parts out the door. they don't care if it lasts a year, ten years, hangs up a piston due to rusty bores or start puking fluid the second you begin to bleed them.

if you rebuild them, at least you know what you have.

Any trouble you could update to a single piston unit on a later year A body

I got mine from a wrecking yard and it was not bad and worked out good No pick and pulls in this area

I’m slowly going through the mechanicals on my survivor 67 barracuda I bought from the original owner. The car had sat in a barn for 30 years or so.
I’ve gone through the rear brakes and I’m about to get into the front disc brakes.

Are there any tips or tricks on inspecting these calipers to make sure they are good? I know replacements are hard to find so I’m going to do my best to save the originals and get them working again.
I just got a piston and seal kit from classic industries. Worked great!! part # MP500818

-
Back