4 point harness

-

Drache

1971 Dodge Dart Swinger
Reaction score
Interesting in replacing the original lap belts for the Dart and the "Racing Seats" I have in the car make a normal shoulder belt uncomfortable. Is there a Harness bar that you can put into a '71 Dart without having to actually weld in a cage?

www.schroth.com is the only DOT approved harness for the street I believe. Myself I use an SFI approved harness and the Hell with DOT approved. Safe is safe and a 4 point is lots better than a lap belt

But how can I mount the harness without a rollcage? That is my big problem. I do not like the plain lap belts as they would not hold me back from putting my chest into the steering wheel.

If you are using low back seats you will probably have to make and mount a belt retainer to the top brace of your seat -- something like this :(excuse the crude drawing)

View attachment belts.jpg to keep belts from falling down the sides of your seat-

as long as they are attached to floor and stay over your shoulders you should be ok ---as for attaching to your seat or headrest you gotta figure that out

I use a 4 point in my dart, reinforced the area below the rear package tray, and used a harness real bolted to the tray for the shoulder straps. The belts I use are from a helicopter, the lap belt buckle looks just like a stock seat belt. Only use the shoulder straps when at the track.

I am interested in this as well. I really would like the safety of a harness and I am tired of being messed with when I am staging because I have a lap belt on and the guy working the lights can't see it.

I also do not want to add a cage to my car.

as long as they are attached to floor and stay over your shoulders you should be ok ---as for attaching to your seat or headrest you gotta figure that out

I wouldn't attach the shoulder portion to the floor, because in a crash it could cause spinal compression = not good. They should come up over the shoulder and relatively straight back to an attachment point.

Just my 2 pennies.

I wouldn't attach the shoulder portion to the floor, because in a crash it could cause spinal compression = not good. They should come up over the shoulder and relatively straight back to an attachment point.

Just my 2 pennies.

They should, but that is the problem when there is no solid place to attach them.
I have four point cam release belts with high back buckets, but still not comfortable about the shoulder belts unless they are attached to a bar at that height and not the seat floor brackets.
I still have the original lap belts also, and the lap section of the four point belts is mounted at the same points as the originals are.

Being a hard top car doesn't make it any easier, due to not having a post or anything to mount anything to.:)

www.schroth.com is the only DOT approved harness for the street I believe.

As far as I know, that is correct, the SFI belts are not street legal.

I have been considering them myself.

http://www.soloracer.com/harnschrothfaq.html

[FONT=arial, helvetica]The DOT created this Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 209 and Schroth has certified that the Schroth Rallye belts meet or exceed that standard, and therefore are street legal.[/FONT]

Trying to get the best of both worlds usually ends up with crap. I agree taking the over the shoulder belts to the floor isn't the best idea as mentioned, but I don't see any other way, and going to the floor with them is still better than going to package shelf or not using them at all.

The only option I see is to go with a simple roll bar with a cross brace instead of a roll cage and hooking them to the roll bar

Just my 2 pennies.

I've heard this even though I've seen MANY harnesses attached to the floor.

Here's a new question. Is there a roll cage that leaves the back seats intact and easy to sit in? As I do carry more than one passenger at a time on occasion.

Here's a new question. Is there a roll cage that leaves the back seats intact and easy to sit in? As I do carry more than one passenger at a time on occasion.

Same exact problem I have. :)

Just because it's done,, doesn't make it safe.

I think there are roll bars that bolt in, I don't know how safe/solid they would be. Problem is, you still have to deal with the cross bar, which can be removable, but IMO, would be a pain in the keester to do and undo that and the shoulder straps every time someone gets in or out.

Then there is the seat itself. Do your seats have the slots for shoulder belts? They really need to be there in order to complete the entire package.

seat-4.jpg

My front seats

Here is another thought. Put a roll bar just behind the drivers seat similar to open top roadsters use, for your harnesses and load and unload passengers from the other side. Just a thought !

-
Back