4 speed console wiring question?

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi all wondering if there was a wiring harness for 4 spd console? Im going thru several harness' that I have including my orig 69 one and can't find one? Check schematics and had to take a hit...lol
I would think their should be for cigar lighter in console.
I found one but I believe its for 67 automatic console. Would there be a difference?

Thanks
Steve

Attachments

• 20160305_162440.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 212
  • 20160305_171905.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 212
Steve....4 speeders have:

- no PRND21 illumination req'd, for obvious reasons,

-and the backup light switch is on the trans.

The cig lighter in an auto console doesn't work anyway...at least I've never seen one that does....not sure why they put one there, as theres one right in the dash!!

If you had the console tach option, there would be a harness for that.

Majority I have seen had a chromed plug that blanked the lighter well in the console.
Higher optioned builds had a lighter there. I'll bet my quarter you didn't have or need any wires to the console in your car.

:burnout:Unless it came with a factory line lock.:burnout:

Majority I have seen had a chromed plug that blanked the lighter well in the console.
Higher optioned builds had a lighter there. I'll bet my quarter you didn't have or need any wires to the console in your car.

Yeah Im thinking no harness in there either Ben. It was a low optioned S

:burnout:Unless it came with a factory line lock.:burnout:

Lol that would've been a cool option Sam! Frickin thing had front drums and foot washer pump. Consider myself lucky it has pwr top lol

Thanks guys

Yes all 67 and 68 have the same harness. 69 also has a harnes for light and lighter. I am sure I have several of each . But getting to them may be a project. I also have the special short lighters for the console. The 69 and up harness is 3 wires and plugs in near the radio. one wire is a ground, 66-68 have reverse lights on the shifter.

Yes all 67 and 68 have the same harness. 69 also has a harnes for light and lighter. I am sure I have several of each . But getting to them may be a project. I also have the special short lighters for the console. The 69 and up harness is 3 wires and plugs in near the radio. one wire is a ground, 66-68 have reverse lights on the shifter.

Very cool info! Thanks Steve. I wrestled/checked my orig 69 harness and couldn't find any console wiring. I'll have to double check. Of course my 69 service manual has gone awol lol.
Car was a bare bones S vert but I would like to "option it up" as it should have been.
If and when you get a chance for pics(lighter and harness) I would appreciate it.

Thanks again

OK, In the 68 model the ash tray in the dash was so fecked that the lighter couldn't go in and out there. So they moved it up into the inst' bezel near glove box end. In 69 model you might have a lighter there and another back in the dash ashtray where it belonged. So how many do you have? How many do you need ?
I would look in my console for a lighter well delete plug. The console ashtray can be a coin holder but you don't want to drop a coin in a live lighter well there. Some options can do more harm than good.
I'll go ahead and add this... Maybe you'll find a USB phone charger thingy that will fit under the console ashtray door ( I haven't ). If you have the 68 style lighter well in the inst' bezel, that is the optimal spot for the USB thingy. Hot lighter elements scared a whole lot of those plastic inst' bezels.

OK, In the 68 model the ash tray in the dash was so fecked that the lighter couldn't go in and out there. So they moved it up into the inst' bezel near glove box end. In 69 model you might have a lighter there and another back in the dash ashtray where it belonged. So how many do you have? How many do you need ?
I would look in my console for a lighter well delete plug. The console ashtray can be a coin holder but you don't want to drop a coin in a live lighter well there. Some options can do more harm than good.
I'll go ahead and add this... Maybe you'll find a USB phone charger thingy that will fit under the console ashtray door ( I haven't ). If you have the 68 style lighter well in the inst' bezel, that is the optimal spot for the USB thingy. Hot lighter elements scared a whole lot of those plastic inst' bezels.

My inst bezel doesnt have a lighter there, just in the normal spot where the ashtray is in the dash. My console does have a delete plug, but I would like to put one in there as well.
OMM mentioned a different/shorter style lighter for the console vs the dash.

I would like to see pics of harness and lighter if anyone has one handy.

Thanks
Steve

Steve...here's 2 pics of my console lighter. The insert part is from my dash lighter setup, but it fits perfectly in the console lighter receptacle, with the sliding door closed.

Hope it helps.

Attachments

• IMG_1972 (Small).jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_1973 (Small).jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 156
My console originally had the delete plug, but now has a working lighter/adapter that I can use to charge my phone....:D

I'll see if I can find some pics....not sure though?

Steve...here's 2 pics of my console lighter. The insert part is from my dash lighter setup, but it fits perfectly in the console lighter receptacle, with the sliding door closed.

Hope it helps.

Thanks Dar, can you lay a tape measure to the lighter??

My console originally had the delete plug, but now has a working lighter/adapter that I can use to charge my phone....:D

I'll see if I can find some pics....not sure though?

Thanks C, pics would be great

Thanks all, anyone got harness pics?

Here's what I have now. Unfortunately I didn't take pics when adding the lighter & harness. We used a lighter receptacle that has provisions for a ground wire attachment similar to the one pictured below. It's wired to only work when the ignition is in the ON position....

I don't think the floor shift consoles are grounded & require a separate ground for the lighter to work. Hope that makes sense....

This little plug-in gadget is handy to check battery/charging conditions on the car :)

Attachments

• Console Lighter.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 127
  • P1020893.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 129
-
Back