4 speed conversion

-

olddman

Reaction score
I have a 1965 Dart GT with a commando 273 and a 904 transmission. Want to change out to a A-833 four speed. Have heard that not all crank shafts were drilled completely for a pilot bearing. Have been told by two tranmission conversion places that I can still install the pilot bearing. Is this true or will some modifications need to be done?

Some of the cranks were bored for a pilot bushing and some were not. If yours was not, you can get it bored for one. Mine cost around twenty dollars to have the local machine shop do it.

Thanks for your help. Engine is still in car and really didn't want to pull out engine and crank to have it bored. Will have to think about this some more!!
olddman

An article in Mopar Action showed the use of a Jeep pilot bearing assembly that pressed into the torque convertor hub area. I believe there was no machining done to the crankshaft, however, the snout of the trans needed to be cut back. Check with your local dealer.....it is a collar with an actual needle bearing pressed into it. Bob

If you are going to a stock four speed setup you would need to use a pilot bushing not a pilot bearing. The flywheel in those years was a /6 style 9 ½ inch flywheel and the clutch was a “cheater style” 10 inch unit. The clutch fork was also shorter. Many people have upgraded to a 10 ½ inch clutch setup because performance clutches for those early cars is nonexistent.

You only have to cut the end of the input shaft off if the hole was not drilled all the way. Cranks came three ways:
Not drilled (actually not deep enough, there is a hole in all of them)
Drilled, but not finish reamed
Finish reamed to the proper size

NAPA has a pilot bushing for the drilled, but not reamed crank. You can use the new style pilot bearing in any of them, but it is harder to get the trans and engine lined up in tight spaces due to the pilot being farther to the rear.

-
Back