4 Speed Conversion

-

stimpy29

Reaction score
I'm planning on doing a 4 speed conversion on my 69 Barracuda in the spring and I've been slowly collecting parts and wanted to pick some of the brains out there that have already gone through this process. I'm installing a console, going to use a hurst 4 speed console shifter, I have the tranny, clutch, pedals, pedal assembly, etc. I wanted to get an idea of how to properly locate the console so that the shifter, hump, etc. lines up properly. Would anyone have any pictures of a conversion they have done/are doing or measurements as to the location of the hole, where the hump goes, an so on?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
JD

I did the 4 gear swap in my 69 Dart. Place the hump on the tunnel, it pretty much aligns itself in position. Mark the perimeter of the hump on the floor and measure 1.5" to 2" inward and cut the hole. This'll be a good starting point without cutting out too much. Mount the bell, mount the shifter mechanism to the trans, install the trans, bolt in the crossmember, and install the shifter handle. Lay the hump and console in place then mark the exact location of the hump. Then trim out the hole in the floor accordingly for clearance of the shifter rods, leaving a bit of overhang inward welding and seam sealer.

You know the console shifter is different from the norm. It has all of the funky bends.

Thanks for your detailed response. I appreciate the help. I'll let you guys know how I'm making out later in the spring.

JD

The others have given you good advice.

Look at the pictures of mine. I did just as the others said. Lay the hump in and get it to fit up as close as possible. Mark it then cut the hole smaller than the mark. 1 1/2~2" should be good. Bolted the trans with shifter installed to the crossmember and held it in place. Then we set the hump with floor boot installed to mark where to weld it in. Trim the floor to proper size before welding.

I do not have the measurements but the pictures should help. Mine was a auto on column so I cut the floor out of a 67 Formula S barracuda to get the console brackets to make sure we put them in the right place. BUT it was an auto. We had already welded the brackets in so we cut the shifter bracket off and the others were in the right place.

that's right I cut up a Formula S, have the steering column also....hehehe it was rusted out and the guy was parting it out.

I'm planning on doing a 4 speed conversion on my 69 Barracuda in the spring and I've been slowly collecting parts and wanted to pick some of the brains out there that have already gone through this process. I'm installing a console, going to use a hurst 4 speed console shifter, I have the tranny, clutch, pedals, pedal assembly, etc. I wanted to get an idea of how to properly locate the console so that the shifter, hump, etc. lines up properly. Would anyone have any pictures of a conversion they have done/are doing or measurements as to the location of the hole, where the hump goes, an so on?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
JD

floor2.jpg

floor.jpg

pedals.jpg

I've never owned a 4 speed car so when I made a templete for use in locating the console mounting brackets and automatic shifter stand, I assumed the 2 console brackets would be placed the same in ALL A-bodys but was not 100% sure (dang that was a long sentance).
Now I am ! Even if the templete is not really needed for a 4 speed console , it will work.
Thanks Wildcat :)

Wildcat,

Thanks for posting the pictures. It makes things so much easier to visualize once you have something to look at.

JD

b body manual column work well in an A body also, I believe I cut tad over an inch off charger steering column and welded a borgeson 90 degree u joint on shaft and the joint had a set screw that used a hex key to sit in groove on manual steering spline end. nice set up ,better than the ugly huge mopar standard joint. this was years ago, the charger column may have had power steering, dont recall...simple job and the joint was 22 bux from comp engineering in s fla. beats the $220 that jegs wants for power to manual conversion from mp.

-
Back