4 Speed- Hard to get out of reverse

-

Bywatermopars

1971 Demon 340
Reaction score
I just put a 4 speed back in my 73 Duster. It has a hard time getting out of reverse some times. Before I spin my wheels, should I start by adjusting my linkage or do I have an internal issue. All gears work great just have a hard time getting it out of reverse. Thanks for any input. Working on it in the morning.

Thanks,
Bywatermopars

The first place to start would be making sure your linkage is adjusted correctly because it will never shift right if it is out of adjustment.

Agreed, properly aligned linkage will cure a lot of problems. Also make sure you have a nice tight shifter, if it's wore out you'll have problems for sure.

Agreed, get your shift arms centered using the pinhole at shifter bottom.

Adjust the rods so they slide in shifter with all trans arms in neutral position.

Thanks for the input. I am going to start with adjusting the rods and hope to not have to go in to the tranny. Will let you know!

Hurst shifters came with a round L shaped pin that slid through the center of the shifter arms and notch at the bottom of the shifter frame. They probably still sell them separate, but a piece of round rod (bolt shank, etc.) with a diameter just slides through the same way with get you by nicely. I have even used an Allen wrench, you must remember keep the points aligned with the notch and not it's flats, or it won't do you any good. Remember too, if the shifter is a little sloppy from wear, you can do too perfect a job and make it too easy to get reverse when you wanted first. Setting the reverse arm just slightly off requiring you to "jiggle" the shifter a little to get in reverse might be irritating, but beats the catastrophe that results when you get reverse instead of first when downshifting.

If we're talking about an Inland shifter here, like the Hurst, getting the arms aligned is key, but I vaguely remember a tee on the handle to actuate a reverse lockout and connected with a length of cable inside the shifter handle that could stretch or slip.

hi, I assume you had the cover off the trans when you had it out?? I have found, the reverse has to be engaged before tightening the cover down. as it has an interlock shoe that works with 1-2 shoe to prevent being in two gears at once. If it's not correct, getting in and out of reverse is a pain. just food for thought.

-
Back