4-Speed hump on a 1974?

-

johnparts

Slammed 1
Reaction score
Ok I was looking at my floorpan the other night and I noticed I have a small hump on the floor with some locator holes to mount or drill through. Am I missing something I though if you had a 4-speed you needed a new tunnel?

Ok I was looking at my floorpan the other night and I noticed I have a small hump on the floor with some locator holes to mount or drill through. Am I missing something I though if you had a 4-speed you needed a new tunnel?
johnparts, the small hump is there for the floor shift linkage vertical shaft with the auto console. This is not for the 4-speed manual shift.

Is it around 3" round? That is for an auto with a console, the shifter lever goes through it and the 3 holes are for the screws that hold the rubber boot to the floor.

If installing a 4-speed you need the complete floor shift hump installed.

Is there a cheap repro stamping out there for the tunnel or does it have to come from a donor car to be affordable?

ok so I do need the new hump then.

Yep

Hump Sealed1.jpg

Humps aren't cheap, originals are around $75, repops are 150 or so.

I have a pre 75 hump, not show perfect but just fine for a driver. I have (I think) $60-$65 in it. If your interested, I'll take $60 plus shipping for it.

do you know the costs of the swap? Or all the parts you need? Just asl if you don't.

Phil

Just thought I would ask.

Hopefully you can get alot locally.

I have seen complete set ups sell for as high as $1500, and thats not includind clutch disc, pressureplate, or machined fly. and then you also have to do the instal. ( which is the fun part.)

I know of a setup close to me for about $600 that I am thinking of getting. Sounds like a deal to me.

try and get alot through here.

Phil

I've found a trans and bellhousing for $250 and a console for $60 bucks so I just need to get the other stuff

make sure you get a proper flywheel for your engine.

318 internal balanced, 360 external. NOT INTERCHANGABLE!

DO you mean hump, or 4spd console? Because yeah, thats a steal for $60=4spd console

I had some good luck with clutch push rod on ebay with all parts.

there is a guy selling 4spd stuff on here in the parts section

I have converted my Dart to a 4 gear and I can tell you, it will cost anywhere from $1.5k to $2k, pending????? I started w/nothing in the line of parts for the swap. I scrounged from the locals, e-bay, Moparts, here (very little), Brewers, and Jamie. Scored a repop'd hump for $70 that was never used. I bought the trans and stock bell from a local for 2 hundy. The deals are out there to be had. I bought 3 shifter handles on e-bay for $41 which included the stock A body handle. The other 2 were GM brand. I tore the entire trans apart and had Jamie look over the components thoroughly. Needed 3rd gear and the normal wear/rebuild components. Do the install once and done. My friend had all the tools for the rebuild so I saved a few there. I have a sandblaster and painted everything myself which saved a few there.

Search the 4 speed forums here and on Moparts. There is a lot of good info on doin the swap.

Teardown2.jpg

Shifter Install1.jpg

Handle3.jpg

4 Gear Shifter.jpg

Well the thing is going behind a 5.7 Hemi so I need to do some serious research to find a Flywheel that will work but the bellhousing should bolt right up. The Console is a rat that needs to be worked to be useable but thats ok because it's just gonna be a starting point I will build on. As for the Hump well I still need one and I believe Blownfish said he had one?

-
Back