4 Speed Hump

-

69Dart

Reaction score
I have seen a couple of cars that didnt have that side hump for the 4 speed shifter...it had just the boot around it..Is this possible of was it a different type of shifter??? If not where can I get the best price on one....

Thanks
Rick

If you want to shift properly you are going to need the hump. If you are OK with 1-4 gears available, get an Inland shifter and forget the hump. The best price I have seen on the hump is from Keisler. Hope this helps.

grumpuscreature said:
If you want to shift properly you are going to need the hump.

Huh? What's the sheetmetal around a hole in the floor that touches nothing but a piece of rubber around the shift handle got to do with shifting?

Ace said:
Huh? What's the sheetmetal around a hole in the floor that touches nothing but a piece of rubber around the shift handle got to do with shifting?

I think he was implying that you can't shift properly (emphasis on PROPERLY) if you use the inland shifter. You'll have 4 speeds, just might not be able to find them. :toothy7: As to whether you need the hump to fit the inland shifter, I don't know. Pretty sure the hump is necessary for the Hurst shifter. Unless, of course, you don't mind a huge hole in the floor.

OK fair enough, never saw an Inland shifter up close myself. But as far as the whole hump issue is concerned, I think it is a bit overblown. You basically have this piece of overpriced sheetmetal you have to do all the work on to get it welded in properly anyway. What are those things going for anyways? I've seen rusty used ones sell on eBay for over a hundred bucks. That's crazy.

My car had a botched hump made of aluminum sheet the bonehead PO pop-riveted in there. What a mess. Fabbed one up from sheet steel to fit better/stroger than stock. Probably took 2 hours of welding as opposed to the one hour it would have took to weld in something that cost over $100.

But necessary? I don't think so. Of course you don't want a hole there That could get rather chilly and wet depending on the weather. But any way you decide to close the opening around the shifter be it hump, boot or a Ziploc storage bag has absolutely no effect on how the shifter - any shifter - operates.

I think the good thing about having an original or repop hump is that you can get a factory made carpet set that will fit. It wouldn't be difficult to fab a cover for the hole, just might be hard to fit a carpet set if you don't have another hump to go by when you make your own.

I'm with you about the prices on 'em. Big bucks. Glad my car came with one. Since my car is a first year 833, I used to tell people about how it looked like the factory converted it by doing a sloppy torch job on the floor & adding the hump. That was before I found out that was pretty much exactly what they did for all of the four speed cars those days. :toothy7:

I cut one out at PYP for less than $5. a couple of months ago. Best deal I've gotten in a while. Well except for the A body 4 speed, flywheel, bell housing, hacked up shifter and linkage that a guy on craigslist sold me the other day for $50. Man bought a 73 Charger and it was in the trunk. Funny...it looked like stuff to clutter up his garage to him...looked like gold to me.

Ace said:
It gives you the room you need for a Hurst shifter. Not everybody has access to the tools, or the talent to make a cover for the hole you need in the floor. I agree that it's ridiculous to pay the prices that are being asked, but what do you do if you can't make what you need? :wack:

You can see it one of the pics in my garage. Not much to see, though. Looks stock. Sorry I didn't take any shots when it was all torn up being put in.

I want to convert my 68 gts to a-833 from torqueflyte727, have no idea where to start, can you advise? I don't know squat about transmissions except how to change a torque converter; but I know what it felt like to shift my buddy's 383-a833 gts dart, and I want my car to do that, too!! If you can help, thanks a billion, I appreciate it, and thanks for your time.

69Dart said:
I have seen a couple of cars that didnt have that side hump for the 4 speed shifter...it had just the boot around it..Is this possible of was it a different type of shifter??? If not where can I get the best price on one....

Thanks
Rick

Mopar A-bodies need the hump! The shifter and the rods compared to the contour of a non-hump floor are inside the car. That huge hole you cut and cover with the hump is necessary, noway around it.

FWIW, you can get a fiberglass hump from Brewers for under $100.

I had the auto in my 67 barracuda and converted to a 4-spd.
The reason for the hump is because the shifter linkage needs to ride over top of the subframe crossmember.
It can't do that with the original floor pan there.

The hump comes with a cut out template that you use as a pattern for cutting out the floor.

Then you can weld the pan in place after you cut out the floor with a whizz wheel or a plasma cutter, but it's better to mount the trans and linkage to make sure you have the pan positioned correctly, then tack weld it in place before you go psycho with the welding wire.

I used a whizz wheel and it took a few hours to do.

I got mine at Sherman auto parts for about $95.00 with shipping 4 yrs ago.

The rear portion of the hump is universal for darts and barracuda's and it fits some cars better at the rear of the hump.

I need to add a little more sheetmetal to my hump to cover a 1/2 inch gap at the bottom rear, some guys use heavy seam sealer or body filler, but I'm gonna use sheet metal for strength.

I did hear that Keislers humps are perfect fit, but make sure first.

Oh , don't forget to install your drivers seat in your test fit procedure as well.

-
Back