4 SPEED INTERCHANGE QUESTION

-

CFD244

"I LOST MY ID IN A FLOOD"
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks

I have a 3 speed manual transmission with bell housing, clutch, pressure plate and flywheel from a 1971 318 Demon. I also have a 4 speed manual transmission with bell housing, clutch, pressure plate and flywheel from a 1970 340 Swinger.

My question........Will all of these parts play well with each other. That is, can I arbitrarily mix and match the two sets of components I mentioned above?

Thanks FABO

I do believe you can . If my memory serves me the bellhousing has two patterns for the trans that allows for either 3 or 4 speeds. Over 20 years ago I switched over to 4 spd from a factory 3 spd and used the same flywheel, clutch, bellhouse, throw bearing etc. Even the drive shaft. Trans and shifter were the only things swapped out. Again that is what I recall. This was on a factory 340 3 spd car. Others might chime in and refresh my memory.

Your bellhousing should look like this if you're going to use it with a four speed. Just pulled this one yesterday from my 70 318 three speed.

1704627338662.jpeg

Yall, he clearly says he has bellhousings for each, so yes, he has everything to make it work.

Yes, I have deleted my posts, it's cleared .

-
Back