4 Speed into a 62 Valiant

-

62 Signet

62 Signet
Reaction score
I'm going to try once more. Does anyone have any experience in putting a 4 speed into a 60-62 Valiant or Lancer? I am wanting to see if this is something that can be done. I presently have 3 on the tree. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

no experience with the swap--- do not know why you could not use the floor shifted stuff from 60-61-- to swap over-- then find a later 63-66 4 speed & go.
parts are difficult to scrounge on the early toads.. good luck, Lawrence

Thanks Lawrence for your input. Trying to find a shifter kit for a 60-61 would be a challenge. That is an option, but I am hoping to go to a 4-speed not only for performance but also to have something different. Apparently, few, if any, have ever been done before other than in a race car.

Are you looking for a bolt in process? I do not think that will happen-- the 1960 cars had 3 speed floor shifted units(I think it was just a hole in the floor board)-- later they went to the column shifted,, you have the pedals-- search for a 4 speed & fabricate the shifter area & your good to go.
Good luck Lawrence

You'll need to get a 4 speed hump new or from a doner car. Your car now has the ball and trunion type transmission and drive shaft. Best thing would be to upgrade that to the slip yoke trans and drive shaft like I am doing to mine. You can use a 4 speed hump from a 67 and up A body with little modification. I say the later model because they are more plentiful and probably cheaper. That's what I am using in my 63 Dart. Like yours mine is also a 3 on the tree and I am converting to a 4 speed. You will probably want to get a floor shift steering column and lose the one you have now. I am going to swap mine out. It is really a very straight forward process. The most difficult part is the 4 speed hump install and that's not really all that bad. Have no clue what you mean about a shifter kit being hard to find. Just use a later model (65 and up) A833 and a Hurst shifter will bolt right onto it provided you have the right shifter adapter plate. You're makin this out alot harder than it is.

I'm doing one now just about got it done the best thing u can do is get a hyd clutch slave setup its what I did if u have any questions maybe I can help
Check out pics through my Photobucket link there is two folders of pics and a video I just posted today of the TURBO TOAD
Aaron

Thanks guys for your input. I may be making more out of this than necessary, but I want to make sure I can do it before I start cutting metal and mess up a nice body. By adding the hump, will I run into problems finding carpet that will fit?
Joe

Try this-- list your plan for the swap with details-- post it up for the FABO crew to view, then use the comments to decide if the swap would be in your best interest.

your swap is not that different from any 4 speed swap--- many of done it on a body cars-- use that knowledge to your benefit..-- by the way do you have pictures of your ride? Lawrence

Thanks guys for your input. I may be making more out of this than necessary, but I want to make sure I can do it before I start cutting metal and mess up a nice body. By adding the hump, will I run into problems finding carpet that will fit?
Joe

I didnt mean for it to come out like that...lol I just meant that it's not as bad as you think. Suck it up buttercup, you can do it. LOL You know where Jones County is? That's where I am. Not too far off.

I'm not worried about being able to do the conversion. I just wanted to know what I problems I might run into before I started cutting the hump. I don't want to repeat any mistakes others might have made in the past.

Note that the engine picture is an aluminum block 225. Bored 30 over, Erson cam, align bored, rods & pistons balanced, head shaved & ported and high volume oil pump. Planning on using offy 4 bbl intake & split headers w/dual exhaust. I am trying to hold the compression down due to head sealing issues with the cylinder tops that are common with aluminum slants.

Stoker, I live about 90 miles from Gray (Bulloch Co.).

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0005.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 126
  • Valiant Prior to Restoration 001.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 128
  • Valiant Prior to Restoration 004.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 127
  • Valiant Prior to Restoration 006.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 126
-