4/speed issue

-

Chief340

Reaction score
Was driving my 72 Duster 340 with A833 4 speed, as I was driving trans got stuck in 2nd gear and won’t come out, I wrestled with the shifter and can’t get it in neutral just had trans overhauled last year with hays clutch & pressure plate along with new throw out bearing, went under car and all the shift rods are snug & tight?? any ideas what might be my issue?? Thanks

Just a suggestion...I would go under it again and disconnect the rod that operates second gear (at transmission shift lever) and try moving the lever by hand. You may have a problem with the shifter itself. Were you down shifting from 3rd to 2nd? Synchronizer or slider didn't line up and jammed? Just a guess. I had this happen on a three speed of mine. I'm sure you will get some more advice.
Norm

I would put it up on 4 jack stands and have the rear jack stands under the axle so you can turn the tires. Like suggested take the Rod off the 1/2 shifter and see if you can move it with maybe an adjustable wrench or something.

If the clutch is engaging and disengaging properly then that's know where to look..

What Jpar said. Remove the lower plate, get the tolerance between fingers and plate, make sure there is no slop up to the pedal. Working your way back. I have had instance where the rod was stripped and the nut would push down the threaded rod and not pull. Start at clutch with 1/8” , think spec is 13/16” between the bearing and plate and woke out from there, this is where you buy a case of beer for your friends leg. It might get busy. Check for full motion. If new, go over a few times. 833 can be a bear if clutch not fully engaged

I had this issue with two "rebuilt" transmissions. Turns out the synchronizer drums in both transmissions where cracked/ broke. I never got to dissemble either of these transmissions in their locked up state to see what exactly what was occurring, my assumption was that the synchronizer ring was jamming in the drum.
When this would happen, the only way to get it out of second was to take a 5 lb sledge to the shift lever and pop it out.

This is probably a worst case scenario, but something I figured was worth sharing.

FYI.. a rebuild kit is $100 from Brewers and synchros are 50 for all four...
The only special tool if you want to call it that is some snap ring pliers and maybe a $25 rebuild book and it's quite easy...
20150928_130523.jpg

Brewers and passon have both. 50 or so each
Had the same problem en
Was driving my 72 Duster 340 with A833 4 speed, as I was driving trans got stuck in 2nd gear and won’t come out, I wrestled with the shifter and can’t get it in neutral just had trans overhauled last year with hays clutch & pressure plate along with new throw out bearing, went under car and all the shift rods are snug & tight?? any ideas what might be my issue?? Thanks
Had the same problem it was the rebuilt shifter, I bought a new shifter no more problems.

Probably a shifter problem, but could be a broken spring on the hub that holds keys up. We’re the keys and springs replaced?

-
Back