4 speed leaking rear seal??

-
Post back and let us know. Doubt you messed up the seal, cause all you need to do is lightly tap it in and a special seal driver Is not needed with care.

Don’t forget to be sure the vent is clear. Post a pic of the lube you put in as well.

Damn I didn’t even think to check the vent. Boy you might have found a possibility there. I have a spare vent that I know works. I’ll pluck that vent and check it. Thank you.

It’s in the landfill. Long gone when we cleaned up the shop. Seems it took 3 quarts. I might have a little left over, I doubt it. I filled it up in early January.

If the boot is not contacting the yoke, something is wrong. Either wrong yoke or wrong boot.

Boot keeps crap from the seal. The seal stops low volume. The bushing stops most. Start at why the bushing is letting so much past. Only there will you find the answer.

The yoke is hard to get calipers on, but today I measured It. It appears it’s right around 1.7” diameter on the seal surface. Outside tube. Whatever you want to call it. A 904 would be smaller I think even if the seal would fit in this tailshaft.

The yoke is hard to get calipers on, but today I measured It. It appears it’s right around 1.7” diameter on the seal surface. Outside tube. Whatever you want to call it. A 904 would be smaller I think even if the seal would fit in this tailshaft.

If the yoke was off much I would expect some bad vibration. Keep checking the vent and such as frothy lube tells you something. You had already mentioned that it seem to fit as expected with little slop.

It slid in like one would expect with a good bushing and seal. I’ll check that vent.

Just to confirm- tailshaft bushing is often forgotten. A loose bushing makes for a leaking seal. Orient the bushing correctly. For future reference- another source of leaks here is the slip yoke itself. The back end of the slip yoke is sealed with a freeze plug that sometimes leak. You can reseal on the outside with silicone as there is no pressure behind the plug.

-
Back