4 speed linkage hardware help

-
thanks for the info bud. i already put it together. but i didnt grease anything. hope it'll be okay

I'm sure it will be fine. When you have time later, maybe put some in there. It will help reduce wear and subsequent sloppiness down the road.

Well, I have gotten around to do some digging on the Hurst Mystery Shifter. Yes, there is or was one. They were for a three speed trans, and said Hurst Mystery Shifter on the mechanism, and Hurst is up on the flat of the shifter lever. I have called the abody Hurst shifter the Mystery shifter because the lever resembles the round Mystery shifter, not the square Comp Plus.
Having said that, the OEM shifter in my '69 Dart is not a Competition Plus shifter. Talked with the old guys like me at American Speed today, these shifters, both the Comp Plus and what I call the Mystery shifter, were in GTO's, Camaros, Mopars and all crossed up in many forms. There are several Mystery shifters for sale right now up on ebay.
So our dispute about, what is it called, could go on. Is it a bayonet, comp plus, etc. Not to big say that I am wrong about something, the shifter lever just resembled the Mystery , and that is what I have always referred to as.

Well, I have gotten around to do some digging on the Hurst Mystery Shifter. Yes, there is or was one. They were for a three speed trans, and said Hurst Mystery Shifter on the mechanism, and Hurst is up on the flat of the shifter lever. I have called the abody Hurst shifter the Mystery shifter because the lever resembles the round Mystery shifter, not the square Comp Plus.
Having said that, the OEM shifter in my '69 Dart is not a Competition Plus shifter. Talked with the old guys like me at American Speed today, these shifters, both the Comp Plus and what I call the Mystery shifter, were in GTO's, Camaros, Mopars and all crossed up in many forms. There are several Mystery shifters for sale right now up on ebay.
So our dispute about, what is it called, could go on. Is it a bayonet, comp plus, etc. Not to big say that I am wrong about something, the shifter lever just resembled the Mystery , and that is what I have always referred to as.
1st ive ever heard of the mystery shifter. im gona look them up. so they were not installed on 4speed cars?

No, doesn't sound like it. The 3 speed actually says Mystery shifter on it. Being in my late teens and early 20's back then, the joke was that it was a mystery as to what gear you were in. Meaning that they were not as good as the Competition Plus shifter. They shift just fine. They will break syc brass rings if you really beat on them racing, they have no stop like the Plus. I broke a lotta brass before I got wise.

No big deal. Just never heard them called that before. My recollection is what you found out. You can add the stops to any MOPAR Hurst shifter by swapping the main case and main case spacer, about $40. There is no real difference between a Competition Plus and a MOPAR OEM shifter except for the handle.

-
Back