4 speed noise

-

Darren

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
hey guys i am looking at a 68 barracuda 383 4 speed. The car runs good but when you tr press the clutch to put the tranny into 1st gear it makes a winning sound. The owner tells me it is the thoughout bearing. is this more than likely the problem.what kind ouf a job is that? Thanks

Sounds right...To my knowledge,you'll be pulling the tranny to replace it.

Well you get to pull the trans

"It's a job" depending on your age, your abilities, your strength, and to a minor degree, whether its an alumininum or iron gearbox.

On my old 69RR long LONG ago in a previous world, it had the factory head pipes and crossover, which REALLYgot in the way of pulling the gearbox.

To do that job would there be any tools neede to line parts up. Or can the bell housinf stay on thanks

No special tools. One trick I use, unbolt driveshaft and leave in back of Trans. No leaking.
Remove shifter and crossmember. Lower rear of Trans until oil pan rests on drag link. Remove two upper Trans bolts. Get 2 long threaded rods ( 10" ), and screw into bellhousing.
Remove remaining 2 bolts and carefully slide Trans back until you can get t/o bearing out the bottom of bell.

No special tools. One trick I use, unbolt driveshaft and leave in back of Trans. No leaking.
Remove shifter and crossmember. Lower rear of Trans until oil pan rests on drag link. Remove two upper Trans bolts. Get 2 long threaded rods ( 10" ), and screw into bellhousing.
Remove remaining 2 bolts and carefully slide Trans back until you can get t/o bearing out the bottom of bell.
good advice. never thought of that. would make life alot easier.

But since your going through that much work I would pull the bell housing to inspect the clutch , pressure plate , flywheel and pilot bearing. Do it once and be done.

At 40+ years old, lifting an 833 makes me poop a little. But on a positive note, other than the weight of the transmission, it's a simple job.

If you have a lift and a transmission jack, it's a piece of cake.

That's what 40 years experience gets you. In the 70's I'd pull my drag duster up on my trailer and work on clutch that way, and I never had any help. It seemed a lot lighter back then :)

That's what 40 years experience gets you. In the 70's I'd pull my drag duster up on my trailer and work on clutch that way, and I never had any help. It seemed a lot lighter back then :)

Hell yes, pull that baby up on your chest then push it in.

Those days are over. lol

And that is why we have some of the problems with our bodies now days. I did them the same way, with out a clutch pilot tool!

He'll, I line up discs that way still, fingers in the plate openings
AH, the good old days

-
Back